carb problem

I checked the back archives of posts and was unable to find any threads with this particular symptomology. If anyone could suggest some things to check I would greatly appreciate it. My level of knowledge is such that I am great at "bolt on" projects. I can take things apart, clean them and put them back together again the way it was, without necessarily understanding everything that is going on.

I have a 1989 YJ with a 6-258 engine and an automatic transmission. I just put in a "new" (remanufactured) carter carb, because I had cleaned up and rebuilt the old one, but it was still giving me troubles. I carefully labeled all of my fuel and vacuum lines when I took the old one off, so they are all back where they should be. I checked that the "top" line from the new fuel filter is on top. I was also careful to use two wrenches and not alter the fitting when I connected the fuel line to the carb. It now starts better than it has in a long time. In park, it idles well and if I press the accelerator, it revs up - strongly suggesting that it is getting fuel. When I put it in drive, it continues to idle well, and will actually move if I let it (I managed to "idle" it home about ¼ mile after it died the other night). If I step on the accelerator though (while it's in gear), there is no increase in RPMs and it dies as if the fuel is cut off. This seems like the opposite of the clogged idle tubes problem- (stalling when you are idling). Am I missing something obvious? I thought the carbs were supposed to be pre-adjusted at the factory. Maybe this one is just no good? I am grateful for any suggestions or enlightenment. Richard M. Hinchliffe

Reply to
Richard M. Hinchliffe

L.W.(ßill)

Dead accelerator pump or maybe a stuck float needle not letting enough in.

A wham with a chunk of 2x4 can knock a stuck float loose sometimes.

Mike

"Richard M. H>

Reply to
Mike Romain