91 Buick Park Ave Anti Lock ABS light

About two months ago one of my break lines rusted out and drained the all the break fluid from my car. Then the Anti Lock light came on and is still on, I tried to reset the codes, by flashing them hoping that would help. It didn't. The service manual for my car says I have to take it to the dealer to get the ecm reset. Any one know how to do this with out paying them $80 to reset my computer. I had the battery disconnect for a little while and it also did not work.

Thanks, Dan.

Reply to
Dan Brow

David J and Lynne J Shepherd

The capacitor's on the computer will hold a charge for a while without electrical supply. My preferred technique is to disconnect the battery & turn on the light switch or other electrical device to clear any residual electricity.

Odds are though there's something wrong with the system that's triggering the light. Probably you're going to have to get it scanned.

Reply to
Full_Name

Thanks for the reply but it didn't work. I hate to have to pay these guys. I also get no code when I jump the ALDL connector from A-B, just code 12.

Must have screwed up ABS when all the fluid drained out. Any one know if these cheap GM scanners at wal-mart work?

Reply to
Dan Brow

Reply to
Mike & Chris

Thanks for the follow up.

I was looking at one at my local Wal-mart, only $20 CDN, it has ABS, but according to the web site it won't do ABS for my car. I was google'ing a little and found that you can jumper Pin A to H and get the ABS error code(s), but to my surprise I have no pin H. This must be the reason that this unit

can't do it.Any one know of another cheap one I can buy in Ontario, Canada that maywork for me.

Thanks, Dan.

Reply to
Dan Brow

Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Reply to
Mike & Chris

I don't know where you are but if in Toronto, my CTC service tech Glen will re-set/clear it for $42.00 (remember that's only to clear it. If it comes back will need to diagnose it. His knowledge in Electrical problems is among top 3% of all CTC Techs or better.

905 822-7180 900 South Down RD Mississauga Dan H. PS d> Thanks for the reply but it didn't work. I hate to have to pay these guys.
Reply to
daniel

I'm in London, and I will never use CTC (you mean Canadian Tire right?) to service my car. I've heard and know of a lot of problems with them and their techs. But then again it's almost impossible to find an honest mechanic.

I personal don't call service companies and ask them how to do something, I try to figure it out on my own, ask some questions in news groups like this on, and search stuff out via google. But it all boils down to having to take my car in to do a diag on it.

Thanks for your reply.

Dan.

Reply to
Dan Brow