04 Regal LS Rental Report

Went to Seattle / Vancouver BC this past weekend.

National Car Rental Reservation : Large Car.

Drove it Thursday to Monday. 677 Miles driven.

Impala was the first choice. I asked about upgrading to Park Avenue, it was $99 a day. The Large car was $55 a day, but I was getting it for $29 a day. I got a good travel agent.

Tell the counter guy I'll take the Impala if you got one - Berry Red or White please.

Fills out the paper work, then we go downstairs to the pick up area at SeaTac Airport.

HF - Got a reservation for a Large car, hopefully Impala.

Clerk - Or first available.

HF ( Pointing to the stalls )- I see two Impala's over there.

Clerk - Those are reserved.

HF - Well...... maybe one is RESERVED for ME !

Clerk - We got a Rendezvous ready now.

HF - I don't want a Rendezvous, we want a " car " with a trunk.

Clerk - You'll have to wait then.

So we wait a few minutes, Looking over at the Impala I notice its the base model with the 3400 V6.

MMmmm some nice Devilles in the next row - oh wait those are $99 a day.

After about 6 minutes we see amber DRL parking lights approach the booth, car dripping wet, 04 Buick Regal LS - hey that has a 3800 V6 ! I hope we get that.

Clerk - We got a Regal ready.

HF - I'll take it, its faster than the Impala's you got sitting over there.

Silver / Graphite Interior, Power everything, Auto Climate Control, AM- FM -CD. Leather seats, no lumbar adjust thank god.

Ride & handling was good, Although hard to tell on Interstate 5 around Seattle area - due to poor quality pavement that made the tires roar like a lion. I would hate to live there & have to drive that road everyday.

Didn't bother with checking the gas mileage for this car.

Drove in both wet & dry conditions. V6 had 205 Horsepower / 230 Torque Acceleration was good. Better than the 1991 3800. Loads of legroom up front. Headroom was fine, but a higher seat setting and your head would brush the door frame opening but cleared the headliner still.

The radio sound was decent - I didn't bring any CD's. I programmed the Volume speed control to OFF.

Visibility - Front & Rear was good.

Exterior Power Mirrors - Big, Good rearward vision. Interior mirror had reading lights on the bottom which were very bright.

Good trunk space, flat floor & deep. Fold down rear seat. Non intrusive trunk lid hinges.

Wet Arm Wipers ( Washer Jets on the wiper arm ) really flooded the winshield good.

A green " Cruise " light, lights up on the dashboard when the desired speed is set.

You know me, there ARE some grievances ---------~~>>>>

Intrusive footwell for drivers left foot at the far left side of floorboard. Toes also hit lower dash trim.

The Auto Climate Control, while it worked just fine, setting it while in motion was risky. You have to push a paddle button for the Blower Setting, the Temperature setting and the Air Flow setting ( where the air comes out from ). etc. 10 different buttons in all.

Plus while pushing the buttons you have to watch the digital settings / bar graph readings to see that you got the settings you want.

Here we go with the Power Driver Seat again - Unfortunately it was a back killer for me. It would of been a super comfortable seat if only the side bolsters on the backrest were 2 to 3 inches further out. There were pressing to hard against my sides. The seat cushion was great, firm support. The tennis racquet style headrests--- well lets use them as tennis racquet and not headrests, they were useless.

DRL's & Automatic Headlights --- GRrrrrr. At night - you had to turn the headlight switch dimmer down to " MIN " every time you got out of the car. This way, when you hit the Lock button on the Remote Keyless Fob the headlights and tailights would go out immediately. If you left the switch set near or on " MAX " the exterior lights would stay on for a loooong time. When you would start up again at night you would have to then turn the headlight switch dimmer up to MAX again so the gauge cluster could be seen again..

Wiper delay --- When turned to the delay cycle position the wipers would make the jerky single sweep at a unusual high rate of speed.

With the floorshift & center console there is no room to put anything. The storage armrest was good, but there was no room to set a map or road atlas anywhere. The door panel pockets were too small. One AAA book filled it. It was too narrow for sun glasses. The flip out cup holder in the console was ready to flip your cup out on turns & hard stops. The bottom of the front seats had plastic trim right down to the carpet making it difficult to tuck things down next to the seats.

There is no P R N D L1 L2 indicator on the console trim plate for the floor shift. Its a digital read out on the dash.

The console armrest for leaning on & holding the wheel with the right hand was way too low and too far back. The storage area under the flip up ashtray door, although it was deep - you had to reach way in to retrieve anything behind the ashtray. In doing so it looked like you were elbow deep in a barracuda's mouth. And forget about visually seeing anything you had in there.

The Climate Control unit is to low in dashboard.

No Climate Control buttons on the steering wheel hub - only radio controls.

Fog Lights - Who lit those candles? Not to bright.

Elbow OFF Door Sills - Impossible to rest your left arm on top of the door sill with the window up.

Visors are to small.

Kilometer numbers on speedometer very small to read.

While in Vancouver Canada I didn't see any Canadian Tire Stores or Ian, our GM Mechanic.

04 Buick Regal LS - another car I can cross off my To Buy List.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~291,400 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Sounding good so far...

3.8's although not as good as the 3.4's are still really good,

That's disappointing. (Same as my Windstar) My Olds has separate twi-light delay & dashlight dimmer knobs (sounds like the bean counters have been at it again).

wonder how that will work as the wiper hardens or gets covered in dirt/snow...

Hmm sounds like the "sporty" side bolsters are indicative of the general comfort level then? You think that on this continent they'd start putting in useful cup holders. If we can't get England's "B" roads or Germany's Autobahn's for God's sake give us a nice comfortable living room to drive !

Personally I think we're ready to go back to push button auto's

you want to use an armrest to "rest your arm"?? hmm perhaps the focus groups didn't address that issue when they were suggesting low profile "Z" rated tires for luxury cars.......

Now that's just dumb. Either put it up where you can see it or put basic controls on the steering wheel.

Factory Fog Lights tend to be more for image than for function.

See my earlier "sporty' comment. The notion in the auto industry is that everyone want's to drive a Lotus all the time. Have these people forgotten that most of us use our vehicles within the parameters of the law "most" of the time.

This is a real shame. My Olds has the perfected 4 piece visor's that cover both side & front with additional plastic slide outs. A truly brilliant design.

Digital Dash with button switch worked well on my old Lincoln, I take it that they went for a traditional "Look" dash?

That's not necessarily a bad thing ;-)

Reply to
Full_Name

Arn't Regals W-bodies like Impala's?

Reply to
Paradox

The Impala and Park Ave. share a platform. My mom has a Regal LS, same car Harry got as a rental only hers is a 2000 and doesn't have leather, the Impala was A LOT bigger. More headroom, larger trunk. My parents and I shared one when we went to Oregon, I was there for a weekend, they were moving on to a cruise of Alaska. My sister was also there for the weekend. You can imagine the luggage we had to fit in that car, EVERYTHING fit in the trunk.

Road noise was tremendous, we were in the Portland area, those roads SUCK. you can barely hold a conversation in your vehicle while driving on them. We were on 205 and 5...

Reply to
Mike Levy

PDX

Regals shares a basic design with the Impala, Monte C, GP and Century according to Consumers Guide.

Forgot to mention the Regal had no ABS or Traction Control ( $600 option ), and the car braked & handled just fine in the rain.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~291,400 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Yep.

Nope, the Park Ave, Bonneville, and LeSabre all share the same platform.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harry Face" Newsgroups: alt.autos.pontiac,alt.autos.gm Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 12:34 AM Subject: 04 Regal LS Rental Report

The original Goodyear Eagle LS tires on my '99 Regal LS roared on course pavement. The next set of Firestone FT-70c's were much quieter, a bit smoother, had much better wet weather traction, but at the sacrifice of some handling. Currently, my third set of tires are Goodyear Eagle GA's. I'm back to my original complaints. They are even noisier and impossible to balance, but they were given to me. I'm trying to wear them out so I can buy something I like better.

Over 82,000 miles since new, I've averaged a bit over 22 MPG. I average about 60% city, 40% highway, often have a heavy foot, and I idle a lot. I've gotten as high as 28 on a highway trip and as low as 14 during city driving exclusively.

The Concert Sound II sound system is sufficient for most people, but a 10" subwoofer and amp cured my desire for a tad more bass.

I guess I've never been offended by the footwell nor have my toes ever hit the lower dash trim.

After you've lived with the car for a while, you can operate the climate control blindfolded. 99% of the time, I prefer to leave mine on the AUTO setting and let it do its thing. One exception would be that in some mild temperature conditions, it prefers to direct cold air to the windshield and warm air to the floor. It results in what feels like an uncomfortable cold draft from the front of the car. I usually override it and direct the airflow to the floor temporarily.

I've yet to find a vehicle that suits my body in terms of long trip comfort. The closest I ever came was the seats in my '95 Probe.

I'm a bit confused by the wording of this comment. The MIN and MAX settings on my headlight knob exclusively control the brightness of the instrument panel lights. It has nothing to do with the delay of interior lighting unless it's set to the "dome lamp on" detent just past the "MAX" setting. In that case, the interior lights will stay on until the battery saver feature cuts power to them (about 20 minutes). Otherwise, they fade out in about 40 seconds or shut off immediately when you press the LOCK button on the keyfob. Perhaps this particular example was defective?

Interesting. Very interesting. Mine has shift indicators in the instrument cluster and down by the shift lever itself. So do two '04 Regals on a local Buick dealer's lot here.

I agree that the armrest is too low and too far back - particularly the further forward and the higher you have the seat adjusted. LOL @ the comment about the storage area behind the ashtray! Many '97-up Regals were actually equipped with a lamp assembly inside the ashtry storage compartment, however, it's not connected to anything. Some of those Regals also had a microswitch activated by the ashtray console lid making the lamp functional. Mine has the lamp, but not the switch. Maybe I'll add it next time I have to pull the console for some reason.

Personally, I've never desired duplicate climate controls on the steering wheel for anything more than show or entertainment purposes. The AUTO setting seems to do just what it's designed to do in my opinion. I akin this to having a RF remote for the thermostat in your home, walking around changing it everytime you feel a degree or two too warm or cool. :o)

Yup. Purely for cosmetic purposes. I even resorted to installing lower wattage bulbs in my fog lamps after the original wattage bulbs kept resulting in cracked plastic fog light housings.

Eh, poor driving posture anyway. You should have both hands firmly on the wheel at all times.

I wear sunshades.

Not an issue for US Regal's drivin in the US. The MPH markings are plenty large.

I've put 82,000 trouble-free miles on mine since I bought it new in '99. Although a bit of a grandma car in non-GS form for someone 26 years old, I'd buy another one when this one dies. However, that's a moot point (unless I buy a used one) since its replacement - the LaCrosse - arrives in a few months. I'll miss the availability of the SC 3800, but I'll reserve final judgement until I drove a LaCross CXL with the new 3.6L VVT V-6.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Maxwell

Same platform as the Olds 88,98 of a couple years back. Are ya sure the Impala doesn't have the same platform as all of these cars? I checked out the Impala's dimensions a few months ago (to replace my wife's '97 Olds

88), and the dimensions of the Impala and the Olds 88/Park Ave/Bonneville are essentially the same, within an inch or so.
Reply to
Justin

Positive, the Impala is W-Body. I know for sure that the LeSabre and Bonne are on the H-Body. I can find out what platforms go with what cars but it may take a little bit of time.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Reply to
Mike Levy

Impala, Grand Prix, Century, Regal, Cutlass, Monte Carlo, Intrigue and what used to be the Lumina are all W-Body. Firebird, Camaro are F-Body. Cavalier and Sunfire are J-Body. Malibu Classic, Grand Am, Alero, Achieva, later model Cutlass, Skylark are N-Body. Corvette (and maybe XLR) are Y-Body. Park Avenue is C-Body. Aurora is G-Body. H-Bodies are the LeSabre and Bonneville, Eighty Eight, LSS, Regency Seville and Deville are K-Bodies. Montana, Silhouette and Venture are U-Body.

2WD S-10/Blazer and all those are S-Body. 4WD/AWD of the above are T-Body. C-2WD Sierra/Yukon..etc K-4WD/AWD of the above. L-2WD Astro, Safari M-AWD of the above G-Express, Savana A-2WD Aztek B-AWD Aztek E-Eldorado

Those go back to 98..some go before that. Got it all from Mitchell On-Demand.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Reply to
stuart8181

Ooops... I meant CXS, not CXL. The CX and CXL have the 3800 Series III while the CXS has the 3.6L VVT V-6.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Maxwell