'92 Buick Riviera - Smoke & No Dash Lights?

Hello,

Our '92 Buick Riviera started smoking somewhere under the dash today, after turning the vehicle off and restarting it the dash lights are out. Since the dash lights are all digital, and not mechanical, I cannot even tell the fuel level. Any ideas where to start looking for the problem?

Thank you,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

I had the problem way back on a 1979 Cutlass. That happened after I was blowing a fuse and replaced it by a soda pop-top to avoid the hassle of replacing the blown fuse.

Several days later, smoke started pouring out of my dashboard on the expressway. My wiring harness shorted out and the wire insulation had melted. All dash lights, radio, etc. went out, but car ran and headlights worked. Luckily I had bought extended coverage and that picked up the cost of the wiring harness and labor.

Reply to
Guido

You are quite fortunate that the extended warranty picked up that cost. Using the soda pop top was not an act of genius, and would easily have qualified as an act which violates the coverage.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Actualy, I'm proud of my "temporary fix" in that it smoked the wiring harness and "stuck it to the man".

Of course, I removed the scorched pop top before going to the dealer for repair.

Still, I "stuck it to the man". The thieving bastards paid up.

The thieving salesman talked me into buying an extended warranty (normally useless) and the insurance paid up.

I'm happy as a pig in shit!

I take great pride in ripping off "the man".

Just did my part to get back at GM and their cabal of dealers that've been ripping off the public for years with their shoddy products and poor service.

Just for kicks, I'll e-mail the dealer & insurance company and tell them the details, although the insurance co. is probably doing business under another name in order to avoid paying claims.

At least someone will have to read the e-mail and make a decision on how to handle it.

Reply to
Guido