93 Buick LeSabre - Possible failing fuel pump???

First time posting here - so if I am forgetting something, forgive me.

1993 Buick LeSabre 3.8 V6

For the past few months I have had a problem with stalling. It was happening only when I had less than 1/4 tank of gas. It would not stay running and it would drive fine as long as I was moving but as I came to a stop it would stall. I was just filling the tank more frequently to keep from having the problem and it was working. I also changed the fuel filter and experienced the same problem. Now the stalling is happening just as I am falling below a half tank and I am slowing to a stop. I never have any problem restarting it either. As I said, filling it up always solves the problem. I am going to borrow or pick up a fuel pressure tester this weekend, but I thought I'd ask if anyone thought on another cause of the problem.

As a side note, there are no trouble codes present either.

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
Greg Baumgratz

"Greg Baumgratz" wrote: > First time posting here - so if I am forgetting something, > forgive me. > > 1993 Buick LeSabre > 3.8 V6 > > For the past few months I have had a problem with stalling. > It was > happening only when I had less than 1/4 tank of gas. It would > not stay > running and it would drive fine as long as I was moving but as > I came to > a stop it would stall. I was just filling the tank more > frequently to > keep from having the problem and it was working. I also > changed the > fuel filter and experienced the same problem. Now the > stalling is > happening just as I am falling below a half tank and I am > slowing to a > stop. I never have any problem restarting it either. As I > said, > filling it up always solves the problem. I am going to borrow > or pick > up a fuel pressure tester this weekend, but I thought I'd ask > if anyone > thought on another cause of the problem. > > As a side note, there are no trouble codes present either. > > > Thanks, > Greg

Not certain for sure. The fuel pump does sound like the problem. I would say that it needs a tune-up. But, the gas level and new filter factors make me think that it may be a worn or bad fuel pump.

Reply to
BadBow99S10

Well, I finally got down to below half tank and it started stalling as I came to a stop again. When I got home last night I checked the fuel pressure and with the key on and the engine off it comes up to ~43/44 psi and holds steady. According to my information, this should be

40-43, so it looks fine. While running the pressure drops to ~36 psi and fluctuates no more than 1 psi either way.

At this point I am wondering if this is enough of a problem to cause any of the symptoms I am having. Since I think the fuel pump is toward the back of the tank and the stalling occurs as I am stopping, the gas must be moving toward the front of the tank. I pulled out the ramps and backed the car up on them to lean the car forward as if stopping quickly. Checking the pressure gauge now shows periodic semi slow drop from ~36 to ~20 psi and then rapid increase back to ~36. Pulling the vacuum line from the pressure regulator only causes the pressure to stay high longer, but the periodic drops still occur.

Interesting... I guess it's time to order a fuel pump. Anyone have an explanation or previous experience as to what is happening with the fuel pump that causes it to have problems as it is uncovered? Filling up this morning once again solved the problem for now.

Thanks, Greg

Greg Baumgratz wrote:

Reply to
Greg Baumgratz

I wonder if the pump suction "strainer" could be giving you a problem?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Could be I suppose, either way, I think the tank has to come down. I think I'll wait for it to get a little warmer aound here as it is still fine for the first probably 5/8 of a tank. I'll follow up when I drop the tank.

Greg

Silver Surfer wrote:

Reply to
Greg Baumgratz

I have a 93 buick LeSabre and found the baskit in the tank had a crack in it and when I stoped the gas would run to the frunt of the tank and the car would stall I replacted the tank. The pump was sucking air and the car would stall.

Reply to
wiskers