I Need Help fast

I recently bought a used 2000 gmc sierra, everything is running and working properly...well almost everything. This morning I woke up to the sound of my horn blaring, it was going off for no apparent reason. It has does this once before and I have no idea why. It always happens very early in the morning and when it is pretty cold outside, if anybody knows ANYTHING about why it's doing this please fill me in asap. also the car has a few custom things done to it i'm just wondering if that has anything to do with it

Reply to
michaelyackson

Maybe your remote car starter is set to start the truck when it gets below a certain temperature and it was hooked up wrong so rather than starting the truck it blows the horn.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Could be the door light switch. If it is sticking, it can fool the computer into thinking that there is a breech in the security system.

Something basic to check out. My 2000 Cavalier was doing the exact same thing.

Haven"t figured out how to post to the newsgroup yet, sorry about the email.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I don't have a remote start, but i'm getting one this saturday.

Reply to
michaelyackson

No i'm pretty sure I don't have an alarm, there's no paperboy anyway. I have NO clue why it's doing this.

Reply to
michaelyackson

I don't have a security system on my truck yet, get one friday. But i'll check if the switch because my inside lights don't even turn on when i open my doors.

Reply to
michaelyackson

I would suspect that you have the GM Passlock II system. Do you have a key fob to lock and unlock your doors? If not, than I doubt it could be the door switch. I'm not sure that year had the keyless entry or not. But, if you are already having problems with it than check it out anyway.

Reply to
Mike

Another thought, might as well unplug the horn. Until you get it fixed. I know the neighbours would appreciate it also. LOL.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Might be a warped steering wheel horn pad causing contact with the horn contact inside the steering column - thus blowing the horn.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~298,704 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

I do have the remote entry but it doesn't work for whatever reason, my car was broken into recently and hasn't been the same since. When the horn goes off it's a steady sound there's no chirps or anything only constant horn, and why does it only go off in cold weather? I pulled the horn relay and of course it stopped I just hope I can still drive it without that in there.

Reply to
michaelyackson

haha yea i did it. I'm just not sure how long the horn is going before I get out there and tunr it off. It was too early and too cold to sit out there and mess with it so ijust pulled the relay think that'll cause any damage?

Reply to
michaelyackson

when my truck was broken into they ripped up the colom and the horn panel and the steering panels had to all be replaced, plus previous to being broken into I had the same problem, same time in the morning, but i just hit the horn and it stopped this time when i hit it it didn't stop so i had to pull the horn relay. I'm still not certain what the problem is? all idea are appreciated and being looked into

Reply to
michaelyackson

It was warped, well the column wasn't warped, but the metal plate behind the Horn column was warped to one side and was very close together and when the weather got cold enough it would cause the plastic to condense causing the wire to touch the metal plate thus making the horn go off. awesome guys! thanks for the input really helped out. now only if someone knows why my remote entry pad doesn't work or if anyone knows how to program them

Reply to
michaelyackson

No, you should be ok

Reply to
Mike

Unplugging the horn relay will not effect anything except the horn. Everything you know as normal should be just that without the horn. There is a way to program te fob, and I have it here some place, when I find it I'll send it via email. I've also read it on here someplace also.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

You most likely on the right track. I once owned a Caddy with a "rim blow" steering wheel. One could blow the horn by squeezing the wheel When it got cold the cover would contract blowing the horn. Try removing the cover and placing a thin piece of foam under it, then replace, WBMA

mike hunt

Harry Face wrote:

Reply to
RustyFendor

Try this link for the fob programming. Might even help you out with the horn issue

Reply to
Mike

thank you

Reply to
michaelyackson

Yea it's pretty weird when it only does it like once a month and it happens only in the early morning, since i live in vegas that's about the only time it's cold. I just ordered the part, if it doesn't happen again it'll be worth it, it's only about $20

Reply to
michaelyackson