'94 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Engine problem

I've had this Cutlass Supreme SL 3.1 for 2 years and bought in with less than 30,000 miles on it.

This car has always used a lot of oil. At this point it's down a quart after only 350 miles of driving or less. There's no oil on the ground, and no blue smoke. It recently passed smog (in California) with no problem. Other than having to constantly check and add oil to it, it drives great. What's going on? Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Reply to
saxman

I'm going to go with the oil being burned. The catalytic converter will burn off a significant of the blue smoke we used to associate with this level of oil burning. A check of the plug color should tell you if you have a cylinder in trouble, although that is more sensitive for bad valves than for bad rings. This problem has shown up in alt.autos.honda several times (associated with low mileage cars like yours) and when it has been tracked down it was broken compression rings in one cylinder. Oddly, it wasn't obvious on compression tests. Huh.

Otherwise... I'm stumped too. 30K miles in ten years, you say?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee