96 olds ciera 2.2L coolant leak-I need a fix

Engine coolant is leaking from a cylinder head bolt and running down into the #3 spark plug hole. This shorts the ignition out and causes a misfire. I first tried removing the bolt, cleaned it, coated it with ARP thread sealer, torqued it back down to 43 ft-lb. This lasted a few months. The leak came back, I did the same again but this time I used a good amount of copper RTV, it only lasted a month or so. What do I do to keep the coolant from leaking around the bolt?

Reply to
dustinmud

"dustinmud" wrote

the #3 spark plug hole. This shorts the ignition out and causes a misfire. I first tried removing the bolt, cleaned it, coated it with ARP thread sealer, torqued it back down to 43 ft-lb. This lasted a few months. The leak came back, I did the same again but this time I used a good amount of copper RTV, it only lasted a month or so. What do I do to keep the coolant from leaking around the bolt?

Nothing, really. The problem is most likely a crack inside the head bolt hole of the cylinder head. It's not real common, but I've seen enough of these that I'm fairly certain that that is what your problem is.

Replace the cylinder head....that's about all you can do to fix this problem. There is no "secret" warranties on this head cracking problem that I'm aware of.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai