P1870 96 Olds Ciera Fix??

Have a P1870 code on my 96 Ciera. I installed a new TCC solenoid but still get the code. Car runs and drives fine, no noticeable problem. I know the code is set when the PCM detects trans component slippage then it inhibits either 4th gear or lockup (can't remember). Question is what are the common causes/fixes. I know this is a fairly common problem on this trans...Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dano

The Torque convertor clutch valve wears the bore that the valve is in, causing slippage (the fluid flows around the valve, instead of against it). The correct cure is to replace the valve body with an updated part.

Reply to
Curly

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the same thing I had in my 97 Blazer but that code was 1860 I think. I removed the valve body, reamed it and installed the Sonnax retrofit valve and it has been good since. I was also told the filter between the spacer plate breaks down and gets sucked into the TCC valve bore/solenoid. Anyone had that happen? I think my trans is the 4T60E (it is FWD) but all the posts are on the

4L60E.
Reply to
Dano