98 Jimmy intake gasket

Looks like my 98 GMC intake gasket is leaking. No money to get it fixed right now. I hope to wait till warm weather and attempt it myself. Do you think bars aluminum leak stop would be a temp fix for a couple months?

Reply to
Tim or Linda

I did flush out the dex cool two years ago and replaced it with green.

Reply to
Tim or Linda

I tried bar's water pump lube and sealent on my daughter's Saturn a few weeks ago. It did not work, I still had to replace the pump. Very small off and on leak. ernie

Reply to
ernie

I believe most or all GM cars with plastic gaskets come with stop leak in them from the factory. The shops in town here use the brown pellet kind you crush up. They actually use them when doing there coolant flushes on gm cars. So give it a try but keep a good eye on it.

Reply to
scrapir

what would be the best to use the brown type or the aluminum

Reply to
Tim or Linda

I'm not sure what the aluminum kind is. If it is really thick I would stay away from it. You could end up blocking your heater core with it.

Reply to
scrapir

Any time I've seen Barr's put into an engine (any type of Barr's), it's resulted in a clogged heater core. I won't use the stuff. Better to fix the problem.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

in my experience, if it leaks in to the engine, you are drivign car with regular colant rather than oil. I noticed it when i open the oil drain plug to change the oil. too sad that i see nearly 1 pin of water flow before a single droplet of oil... I suggest you to check your oil before dribing it. I mean check with replacing it.

Reply to
uccoskun

in my experience, if it leaks in to the engine, you are drivign car with regular colant rather than oil. I noticed it when i open the oil drain plug to change the oil. too sad that i see nearly 1 pin of water flow before a single droplet of oil... I suggest you to check your oil before dribing it. I mean check with replacing it.

Reply to
uccoskun

It appears it is not leaking in the oil. I get a smell of it only now and then. I can see around the gasket that it is leaking.

Reply to
Tim or Linda