98 lumina 3100 air conditioning .. I think I know how ....

First off I have checked the fuse. Is there some relay that goes bad to make the compressor not work? I have already confirmed the compressor works by running a jumper lead to the compressor itself. So now am I to believe it only needs a charge? I dug out my old recharge kit from the 70-80's but this time I will install R-134 instead. Does this sound about right? TIA

Greg

Reply to
pnsman64

It could be low on charge. If it is, that will definitely shut off the compressor.

You know, of course, that your old R12 kit is not likely to fit the R134a system unless you have proper adaptors.

Reply to
hls

And a kit with a guage and a can of R-134A is around thirty bucks almost anywhere .

Reply to
Snag

no I did not know that the old kit will not fit the new cans of coolant. Thanks for the info on the can with a gauge this should take all the guess work out of it.

Reply to
pnsman64

Not so much the can connection , but the 134a systems have clip-on connections at the service ports . Shrader valve fittings just won't work . --

Snag aka OSG #1 '76 FLH "Bag Lady" "A hand shift is a manly shift ."

none to one to reply

Reply to
Snag

OK I now have it charged to 45# and the air feels good. One worry though I now see some oily type oil stuff on the clutch in front of the compressor and some even being flung around. Should I start worrying now?

Greg

Reply to
pnsman64

PAG oil , it lubes the compressor . You should start worrying now . Means the seal on the compressor is bad , probably why it lost the freon that was in the system . Aincha glad winter is almost here ? Not sure what's involved in replacing the seal , but I do know it takes a special puller to get the clutch off and back on . Might be able to rent/borrow one from AutoZone , or whatever major auto parts supplier is in your area . Good Luck !

Reply to
Snag

yup I am glad about the "Aincha glad winter is almost here ?" comment. LOL :-)

Reply to
pnsman64