AC/Heat Airflow in 96 chev Lumina

Hi, I have an airflow problem (in my heat/ac) in my 96 Chevrolet Lumina. I think I've narrowed it down to either being the rotary switch that selects airflow, or the blender(s) it controls. Is there a good way to test one or the other without having to dissassemble the whole dash area? Also, would I access the blender underneath the glove compartment (as I've seen a diagram in Chilton's saying that that's where the blower is)?

Thanks for any help you can provide, Louis

Reply to
ll

Ok what sort of problem? None at all? Only blasts on 1 speed? Doesn't come out of the "proper" ports?

Some generic advice, taking the control panel out isn't that hard at all (the dash piece is all one big part) and only a couple screws/bolts hold it in. Check the blower motor resistor.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Thanks GV, The fan blasts at all 4 speeds, but the airflow rotary switch only will blow from the defrost vent and the floor vents. Are there just plastic tabs that hold that dash piece on?

Thanks, Louis

Reply to
ll

Basically, yes. Best thing to do is make sure the steering wheel is all the way in the "down" position.

And, I have the exact same problem on mine, and replacing the control head unit (because the selector, temp, and speed are all one assembly) did NOT fix the problem, so you can probably scratch that. Hopefully someone has a better suggestion because I need to know for this setup also.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

I don't have info for a 96, but I hope 98 is similar. Air delivery is controlled by vacuum. First thing, make sure you have vacuum at the control head. My schematic doesn't say what colour source is. Defrost valve red and yellow Mode door blue and brown Recirc is orange The other will be source. Defrost is usually default position.

Reply to
Kevin

assembly)

I have a 92 that has the same problem. I don't know if it is the same as = yours. My problem was vacuum related (as Kevin mentioned above). It was = a small, black, three port plastic vacuum switch that controls the = vacuum from the vacuum reserve tank to the air control and (I think) = cruise control. On my car it was located in the engine compartment, = drivers side, near the firewall. Close to the cruse control and brake = booster. I have had to change this part many times. The GM Part number = is 1405-6648 and cost me $5.70 in 2004. This last one has lasted for a = while.

Good luck Tony

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

On mine there is no vacuum line to the control head, it's all electronic. Same way in a donor 96 for its control head.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

My problem was vacuum related (as Kevin mentioned above). It was a small, black, three port plastic vacuum switch that controls the vacuum from the vacuum reserve tank to the air control and (I think) cruise control. On my car it was located in the engine compartment, drivers side, near the firewall. Close to the cruse control and brake booster. I have had to change this part many times. The GM Part number is 1405-6648 and cost me $5.70 in 2004. This last one has lasted for a while.

Any way you can get us some pictures, because I don't think it's the same on a 92 as a 96. My 94 definitely has much different vacuum line setup than the 96 does (too many Luminas LOL)

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

as yours. My problem was vacuum related (as Kevin mentioned above). It = was a small, black, three port plastic vacuum switch that controls the = vacuum from the vacuum reserve tank to the air control and (I think) = cruise control. On my car it was located in the engine compartment, = drivers side, near the firewall. Close to the cruse control and brake = booster. I have had to change this part many times. The GM Part number = is 1405-6648 and cost me $5.70 in 2004. This last one has lasted for a = while.

This is what the part looks like.

This web site says it was used on 1986 to 1995 GMs.

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

Interesting, but looks like it doesn't apply to the 96+ I guess.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Does anyone know what the blender looks like/where it is in the ductwork?

Reply to
ll

Well, I took the Lumina to a small mechanic who did a superb job with it. The AC now blows out of the front vents the way it did when it was new - it hasn't done that in at least a yr!

It turns out that there was a vacuum line missing. I had seen this while inspecting it a few weeks ago, but as I could find no loose hose, I figured that the exposed hole of the T just wasn't used. This is a T (similar to that at the link a few posts before) although this T is a little smaller. It is on the driver's side, behind the air filter and next to the cruise control cable. It's not too hard to reach. I haven't been able to trace where the other end of this line leads. Does anyone know?

Thanks Louis

Reply to
ll