Air Bag - safe to work on Buick dash with battery disconnected ?

I will be replacing my speedo cluster on a 2002 LeSabre and have the shop instructions for pulling the dash apart. Also for removing the SIR fuse and various interior seat/dash connectors to turn off the airbags.

Would it be better/easier if I just pull the positive off the battery while I do the work and leave everything connected ?

don't want any surprises !

tnx. PM

Reply to
RTRS

Shep

NOPE. The unit holds a charge in it to deploy the bags in the event that the collision is hard enough to destroy the battery. Some discharge in a couple hours and others will hold a LOT longer. Best bet is to disconnect the battery and then pull the fuse and the connections. Make sure that if your radio has a security code in it that you know what it is and how to enter it once it powers back up.

Oh and just FYI, IF you have the dash partially out and the bag is in front of you and it does discharge, you won't remember it anyway.... One of the reasons why I stay out of the line of fire when working on any bagged vehicle.

Reply to
Steve W.

Great info from you guys, thanks.

I got the car used, any method for me to get the security code for the radio ? How do I program it and is this always required if the battery is disconnected or replaced ?

TIA. PM

Reply to
RTRS

Document ID# 768412

2002 Buick LeSabre

Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. Remove the key from the ignition switch.

Important With the SIR fuse removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, the AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.

Remove the SIR fuse from the rear fuse block. Rear fuse block is located under the rear seat. Remove the rear seat. Refer to Seat Cushion Replacement - Rear in Seats. Remove the driver sound insulator. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Left in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) (1) from the driver yellow connector (3) located next to steering column (2). Disconnect the driver frontal air bag yellow connector (4) from the vehicle harness yellow connector (3).

Remove the passenger sound insulator. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Right in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) (4) from the passenger yellow connector (1) located above the passenger sound insulator. Disconnect the passenger (IP) frontal air bag yellow connector (2) from the vehicle harness yellow connector (1).

Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) from the driver side air bag yellow connector (4) located under the driver seat. Disconnect the driver side air bag yellow connector (1) from the vehicle harness yellow connector (4). Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) from the passenger side air bag yellow connector (4) located under the passenger seat. Disconnect the passenger side air bag yellow connector (1) from the vehicle harness yellow connector (4).

Reply to
Silver Surfer