Ford Expedition '98 Air Bag Light on

Last week somebody broke into my Expedition to steel my CDs :( by sneaking a screwdriver in-between the passenger side door handle and the sheet metal. Besides the obvious physical damage, now my airbag light comes on, although I can't see anything wrong with it -- no sign of physical damage there. Any thoughts for a quick test of something tampered with before taking it to a garage? I really dread taking my truck to a Ford garage...

Regards, Tommy

Reply to
Tomyt

It should flash a code immeadiately after you turn the vehicle on. It will be a blink cod ein the form of ..blink..blink........blink..blink (for 22). I bel;eive it repeats twice.

You should consider joining the Expedition Owner's Group mailing list. See

. Regards,

Ed

Tomyt wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

You are right: it does flash a code. Right after power on it flashes 3 times the code 42, and than the airbag light stays steady on.

Did some more investigation over the weekend, and found out that the wire at one horn was cut... but the other one was left intact. I wonder if by mistake they cut the wire to the passenger side crush sensor? Anybody knows where thatone is located so I can do a visual check?

Reply to
Tomyt

I imagine you are right. Here is a partial list of the codes:

? No Air Bag Indicator ? Inoperative Indicator Circuit or No Battery Positive Voltage to Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor ? Continuous Air Bag Indicator ? Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Disconnected or Inoperative

12 Low Battery Voltage 13 Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground 14 Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuit Shorted to Ground 21 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly 22 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Circuit Shorted to Battery Voltage 23 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuit Input Feed/Return Circuit Open 24 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Feed/Return Circuit Open 32 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open 34 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted 41 RH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Feed/Return Circuit Open 42 LH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Feed/Return Circuit Open 44 RH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly 45 LH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly 51 Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse ? Fuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground 52 Backup Power Supply ? Voltage Boost Fault 53 Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuits Resistance to Ground or Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Fault ? Rapid Continuous Flashing of Air Bag Indicator (No Fault Code) All Primary Air Bag Sensors Disconnected

Working on the airbags can be dangerous. I'd suggest pulling the airbag fuse and then looking for a cut wire on the lefthand side of the truck. If you find one, you may be able to reconnect it. However, I suggest this is really a job for the dealer. Lots of liability connected to airbags. I'd prefer to make sure the dealer / Ford is responsible if it fails in an accident, or if it goes off at an inappropriate time.

Regards,

Ed White

Tomyt wrote:

Reply to