air filter replacement - 3.8L 1997 Grand Prix

Can anyone offer some hints?

I struggle each time I need to replace the air filter. Opening the cannister and removing the intake doesn't come close to allowing removal or replacement of the filter. I must be missing a major item. I even have the expensive service manuals. But unlike other Helm manuals that I had, this one is useless for general on the car replacements. Anyone offer suggestions other than "pay to have it done".

Reply to
wib.kinneman

I noticed that on some GM cars of similar year models, although I have not worked on this exact car.

They could have been made easier to change, but such was not the mindset of GM.

I remove the ductwork as much as possible and then open the filter holder and am able to get the old filter out and the new one in. I havent done it it a while, so cant give you any better details.

Reply to
HLS