Axle Carrier Output Shaft coming out on 95 Chevy K2500

1995 Chevy K2500 pickup truck with 4WD.

A few days ago, the left CV joint broke. Because I have a broken arm, I took it to a service garage and they replaced that joint. The next day I heard a lot of grinding sound. I took it back to that garage and they found the left Axle Carrier Output Shaft coming out of the front differential case. When I make a turn, it pulls partway out of the housing. They said I will need a different differential, either from a junk yard or a rebuilt. I asked why they can not fix mine. He said that they could, but the amount of time would cost more than another differential. They said it must be completely removed either way.

I looked this up in some websites. It appears there is supposed to be some sort of clip on that shaft to keep it from sliding out. I dont understand why they cant just remove that CV joint shaft, take that end off the carrier (pumpkin), and put on the missing clip (without removing the whole differential).

What is the deal with this, and what really is needed to be done.....

Thanks

Reply to
mouse.n.keyboard

Without an examination none of us can truly say what needs to be done. You may be correct. But there may be some damage we cannot see.

For the shop to disassemble, order parts. reassemble, it can be very time consuming, this costly. A factory rebuilt comes with a warranty, has been assembled by a trained person with the right tools. The shop has little liability that way.

You could talk to them about the clip and they may try it. Keep in mind, you will pay for this and if it needs more work it is on you

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski