Buick oil monitor

My new Lucerne has an oil monitor that displays the % of oil life left. Is this for real ? I have always changed oil at 3000 mile intervals and this new system is obviously a lot longer than that. Is this a new/good thing or should I stick with the old methods ? Thx Zork

Reply to
Zork

Not new. Generally a good thing if you've got a good mix of driving patterns. Unless you own stock in Pennzoil, there's no point in staying with 3K.

Counts mileage, number of starts and tracks engine operating parameters.

If I've mostly driven highway mileage I change at 25-35%.

If my wife has just been putzing about town I'll change it at 50% to avoid a sludge situation.

Note-- this works *if* you keep the oil level topped up.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

It's for real as long as you use motor oil that meets the manufacturers specifications.

Changing the engine oil too often ("the old methods") can result in shortened life of the catalytic converter and contaminated oxygen sensors.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The old method is wasting your money. The 3000 mile change is suggested by -- People that sell oil changes-- what a surprise. ] Most car manufacturers suggest anywhere from 3000 miles to 7500 miles depending on your driving conditions. I've used 7500 miles on cars that have lasted me 200,000 miles. My driving is a mix of highway and town driving, many trips are 25 miles.

Read the manual. Buick has invested millions of dollars over the years to get it right on oil changes. My present Buick has 122,000 miles and only once did I need to add any oil between changes. They build a good engine these days.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This has been discussed a number of times here. That system does not actually check any oil parameters. Its response is output from a calculation - an algorithm- which simulates oil life.

Use it if you want to. Change your oil when you want to. You will only get into trouble if you dont change your oil reasonably within the manufacturers specifications and you have an engine failure that GM can worm its way out of.

Reply to
HLS

The following is the response of a GM engine development engineer

The following is the response of a GM engine development engineer to a motorcycle forum on extended mileage oil changes. The link to the forum was posted on VV months ago. I found it so interesting I saved a copy. Read with an open mind and form your own opinion about your favorite oil and oil change habits. Only the GM engineer's responses to questions, converted to plain text format, are included. The GM engineers experience and credentials are in the first few sentences of the last paragraph. It's taken special handling to get this long message posted, thanks to vv-help. I've got the entire original in pdf format for those interested.

John Dozsa

John, can you provide a copy of this in pdf format or direct me to it?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

I can remember when the 3K oil change was like draining tar from the crankcase.

It must be better tolerances, unleaded gas.... My BUICK 3.1 has 85K miles on it.

At 5000, I start to get nervous waiting for "Change Oil" but the dipstick shows oil almost as clear as when it was last installed.

Reply to
Anonymous

Filters, fuels, engine tolerances and materials, oils and the additives in them have all changed. The only thing that has not is the recommendations of the Jiffy Lubes and such that make their money from oil changes. While it does not make sense to try to save $20 at the expense of a $30,000 machine, it does not make sense to pour it down the drain either.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

True, especially in this day and age of expensive, and as some say, short supplies of oil.

Reply to
Hobo

Our '00 3.1 Century has 160,000kms on it and the oil looks clean at

5,000kms. The "Change Oil" light never comes on and stays on. I 've changed the oil between 8,000 and 16,000kms and it never looks that dirty, like in the old days. It's been a good engine except for the famous intake gasket which I replaced this time last year, 25,000kms ago. Thankfully we've had mild winters or I'd have frozen changing it.
Reply to
anon

It isn't just the jiffy lubes that recomend changing your oil at 3,000, I know a lot of mechanics that still do it.

How many engines have you rebuilt? Just curious.

Reply to
Scott

First time I ever heard this one. Do you have a reference?

Reply to
Scott

None. I've driven many of them to 200,000 miles. The last car I got rid of was a '91 Regal with 150,000. My '01 LeSabre has 122,000 and only once did I have to add oil (1/2 quart) between changes.

Mechanics make money changing oil too. If you drive under severe conditions then 3000 miles may be the right time, but for most of us, it is a waste.

Did you ever ask the mechanic or Jiffy Lube place why they say 3000 miles? Do they ever ask you what kind of driving you do so they can make a proper recommendation? Do they ever mention the condition of your oil or the filter? Do they look up a reference for your particular made and model? Nope, they just continue to say "come back in 3000 miles" and put that little sticker on the windshield so you will feel guilty when you exceed it.

It your money so do what you want with it, but there is no justification for me not to follow the manufacturer's recommendations of 7500 miles for my driving conditions. I also use regular 87 octane gas as stated in the manual.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I still change at 3,000 or close to it. Maybe it is more often than needed, but I also change my socks and underdrawers every day ;>)

Reply to
HLS

Its your money so do as you please. There is just no real justification for it today though. As for your underdrawers, just turn them inside out and cut the laundry in half.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

**And that is my justification...Maybe someday I will subscribe to the long service interval situation, but not now. I choose to err on the side of caution (with my underwear too) ;>)
Reply to
HLS

Published in TSBs over the last 10 years.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I havent seen it either.. What is the explanation, Aarcuda?

There was a lot of bruhaha about increased iron in the oil after changes but I never saw anything substantial in way of explanation about why it happens.

Reply to
HLS

Certain components of the oil that burn off during the first 500 or so miles after fresh oil is installed are known to effect catalyst longevity.

Naturally, the oil companies aren't going to disclose this if it is going to effect their sales volumes. The vehicle manufacturers know about it and it is reflected in their maintenance schedules. Covered extensively if you attend the right training seminars or have access to the authors of those seminars.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Here is a very good article on the subject;

Scroll down to: "The Catalyst and Oil Connection" on page 2

The author; Kevin McCartney has impeccable industry credentials. Anyone interested in learning the truth about lubrication, coolants etc. is well advised to get their hands on anything and everything he writes.

Reply to
aarcuda69062