Can Anything Stop Toyota?

Despite doing well in the IIHS offset barrier crash test, Tundras have the highest injury loss rating of any full sized pick-up. And in the goverment (NHTSA) crash tests they don't do as well as the Ford and GM pick-ups. This seems to be another example of the typical Toyota bias I see in the press - They do one thing well and get rave reviews. The fact that in the "real world" they are not as safe as other similar vehicles is never mentioned. In my opinion, Tundras are the least advanced design of any full size truck. The day they rolled out of the factory, they were not as good as Ford or Chevy full sized pick-up trucks, and they have none nothing to improve them over the past few years. Now they aren't even the best full size truck from a Japanes manufacturer.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The Tundra isn't a F150 or GMC 2500. Nice try, Toyota - but it's not a serious truck.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

That's funny. You say thinks like that all the time about Fords, does that make you a troll as well? ;)

mike hunt

MDT Tech wrote:

Reply to
StonyRhoades

MikeHunt.... I met an old friend from work yesterday. He had just bought ANOTHER Focus. When asked about his old Focus (2001), he said "I really liked the way the car handled and had no major problems with it, other than 2 recalls that I never took the car in to have fixed. The reason I traded it off was the transmission suddenly started making howling sounds in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. Rather than have the transaxle overhauled (5spd manual), I traded it off quick."

Reply to
Philip®

In news:Wawwb.13668$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net, Philip® being of bellicose mind posted:

PS: Frank's 2001 Focus had only 66,000 miles on it. That's sad.

Reply to
Philip®

Naw, what's really sad is that he's so 'loyal' that he's going back for a second helping. Mention Toyota to him when his new Focus dies.

Friends don't let friends drive....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Former Ford mecs that I know consider the Focus to be a throwaway, but should be good for 100 K. or thereabouts.

Dale

Reply to
<happy

No, its true, his statement wasnt. I've been in this group since 1996, way before even you Mike, in fact, I was invited by the founder "Rousch" and it was only 8 post a day! Now this guys comes in, pops off, we'll probably see him in here for a week doing damage control (putting out the fires) for Ford, then he'll be gone.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

In news:Skxwb.4191$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net, jakdedert being of bellicose mind posted:

Frank is a green card carrying German who knows what drives well. He HAS to have thrill over reliability. Frankly, I would prefer the suspension layouts of the Focus on the Corolla.

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@zeus-ge0.rdc-kc.rr.com, snipped-for-privacy@holidays.com being of bellicose mind posted:

Really. Could you be more specific? Engine or transmission construction? Body quality? Electrics? A/C? Let's hear it! I love a good Ford Horror stories. :-)

Reply to
Philip®

Mike thinks all cars break down, its not so, but he is using the Ford line of thinking. Philip, your buddys tranny failure, he must of been due for his 60K servcie, right. I'll bet he was between 60-80K miles, let me know if I'm right.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

LOL, I KNEW IT!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

AS long as we define "Break Down" as a failure that requires a flatbed ride to a repair facility then..... I cannot agree with MikeHunt that all cars break down. With my definition in mind, Fords "break down" at a higher percentage rate. ;-)

66,000 miles.
Reply to
Philip®

IF the odometer had displayed three 6's in a row..... would the earth have opened up?

Reply to
Philip®

LOL, In my life there have been four transmission faiure in the family. One Jensen-Healey, one Ford, one VW, and one Toyota. Guess which one was the most expensive (lke 2x the others). Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad that it cost so much, but the car was so horrid that it was toture to decide to waste the money to have it fixed (and if you haven't guessed it was brand T). I was delighted to unload that junk on someone else. Oh what a feeling.

A friend of mine was a typical Toyota owner - he had an older diesel pick-up He drove it to over 200,000 miles. Of course to get there it required two tranmssions on one engine rebuild. According to him it was the most reliable vehicle in the world. I could only laugh. Not only was it horribly unreliable, it drove and rode like a dog cart. Oh what a feeling.

Ed

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You're MikeHunt's son ... aren't you.

Reply to
Philip®

No, I am just a disgruntled former Toyota owner who is trying to counteract what I consider to be Toyota's undeserved reputation as a supplier of fine cars. It is not that Toyota builds bad cars, they don't. But they aren't all that great either. For the most part they are boring, uninventive designs. I suppose the Pirus is an exception, but to me it seems second rate compared to the Civic hybrid. From my personal knowledge Toyotas are not particularly reliable, they are not particularly safe, but they do cost a lot. Despite what I perceive to be extreme mediocrity, Toyota gets tons of good press. It reminds me of the old days, when GM could push absolute crap out the door and have it declared "Car of the Year." Think of the absolute turkeys Toyota has unloaded on the US (the Previa, the original Cressida, the T100, the original Sienna, the original 4Runner, the Sequoia, the Echo) that the automotive press has treated like the greatest thing since sliced bread. Something smells (and I don't just mean the exhaust from a Camry).

Ed

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

So it would be fair to say you have embarked on a personal crusade?

Reply to
Philip®

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU DUMB BIGOTED IGNORANT HIPOCRITICAL TROLL! Go back under your bridge and stay there!

I thought I had you on my killfile list. Now I'll have to try again.

One of these days Philip will be buried in his defunct TOY o DUH and were all gonna gloat.

Reply to
Eastward Bound

Actually, Toyota engines are extremely reliable. The fact that they use a few less layers of paint, however, is reason to worry - the cars will rot to pieces very quickly, unless waxing, polishing, and rust protection are done with fanatic repetition. They are solid and reliable cars, however, if looked after. Not very stylish, mind you, but but reliable.

If a US company were to buy Toyota, I think that the quality of NA cars would improve a great deal - case in point being Jaguar, whose engineering make the LS and new Thunderbird into pretty kickass luxury cars, or the Asuna-designed Sunfire/Cavalier. Toyota would probably benefit too.

Those days are long gone for ANY auto manufacturer. It's infinitely cheaper to make unit body cars with wimply little sewing machine engines that need to be spinning 5000rpm to move the car at 80km/h. Good handling is a side-effect, simply because the mass isn't there to allow the car to wallow. Now, if only they'd get the idea with SUVs - bad-handling 4x4 station wagons with no luggage space that owners would be mortified to drive on a dirt road, much less off-road. I always love winter because it really demonstrates to SUV people that their tanks don't handle any better than most cars on a slippery surface, and that 4x4 doesn't apply to braking. Tee hee.

Matt Keefer