center armrest storage stuck closed, how to open it?

Hi

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab and the center armrest/storage won't open with the large push button. It's stuck closed. Any idea how to open it? I tried jamming thin pieces of metal down the side of the button with no luck. Any clues. Can anyone open theirs and see how it works. Maybe it can be seen by just opening the storage. Mine is the SL model.

Reply to
Martin

Hey Martin, I had a similar situation on my 92, not sure if the 2002 is the same. On mine I had to depress the button and pry the lid open. The latch had two little ears that retract and release from a thin metal plate mounted to the body of the compartment base. One of the ears was not retracting. I took the latch out and found that something had broken in the latch itself. This left me three choices, (1) remove the plate held in by two screws and have to no latch at all, (2) replace latch $$$$, or (3) trim the metal out of the plate that the side of the latch which was no longer working used to hold on to. For my 92 with 250k miles #3 made sense and worked for me. Again not sure if this works the same on the 2002 but maybe it will give you an option or two.

Good Luck

Best Regards,

Tony

Reply to
Tony Collums

Reply to
Martin

With that in mind. Look for the same model for sale at a dealer, and go take a look at it.

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
#1ACGuy