Chevrolet SS to be the name of brand's performance sedan, NASCAR entry

Chevrolet SS to be the name of brand's performance sedan, NASCAR entry

The SS name will be used on a rear-wheel drive performance sedan and NASCAR Sprint Cup entry. A racing prototype is shown. Greg Migliore Autoweek -- May 17, 2012 - 10:34 am ET

DETROIT -- It's back. Big, bad and with four doors, rear-wheel-drive performance will return to the Chevrolet sedan lineup in 2013, simply called the SS.

Chevrolet said today that "SS" will be the name of its next sporty four-door, and it will be used by NASCAR Sprint Cup teams starting at the

2013 Daytona 500. The road-going car will go into production later that year and arrive as a 2014 model.

Chevy is being coy about specifics, but the sedan will get a small-block V8 and be sold in limited numbers as a halo sedan. Displacement and power have not been announced. The vehicle is expected to offer a manual transmission.

The SS will be based on General Motors' global rear-wheel-drive architecture. GM's Australian division, Holden, will assemble the sedan, and it will be exported to the United States. It will be most closely related to the future version of the Commodore, which will be on sale then in Australia.

That is different from the rear-drive sedan used by police forces, which is based on today's Commodore.

The return of the SS continues in Chevrolet's performance tradition, giving the brand its first rear-wheel sedan since the Impala SS in 1996, which emerged as a cult favorite of enthusiasts. The SS badge has been worn by a variety of Chevys over the years, though the Camaro is currently the only one now on the market.

NASCAR teams will have access to the Cup SS this summer for shakedowns, and Chevy says the road cars and race cars will resemble each other. Look for the production car to share Chevy's recent design cues, as evidenced on the Impala and the Malibu.

SS rumors have been swirling for months, with trademark documents circulating recently, and it's been known publicly for some time that Chevrolet was going to dump the Impala name for Cup competition.

SS stands for Super Sport, and it has a long history at Chevy. Notably, it was used in 1957 on a Corvette prototype race car built under the stewardship of Vette pioneer Zora Arkus-Duntov.

The first production SS arrived in 1961 on the Impala, and 453 versions were built that year with upgraded chassis and suspension parts.

In a statement, GM North America President Mark Reuss said, "As a passionate race fan and performance enthusiast, I am thrilled that Chevrolet will deliver a true rear-wheel-drive NASCAR race car in the SS that is very closely linked to the performance sedan that will be available for sale."

Read more:

C. E. White

What he really says is "I'll be proud to glue a Chevy emblem on a car made on the other side of the world. I'm thrilled that we had one shipped in from Australia so we can play NASCAR again."

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Also stands for Schutzstaffel.

Reply to