Codes 44 and 45...

Well...I go for my emissions test tomorrow and am having a major internal debate as to whether I should replace my O2 Sensor before I go or not...

For the past few weeks I've been getting both codes 44 and 45. Mostly

  1. And like I've said before, I have a A/F Gauge installed and today it did the thing again where the O2 will stick in the "RICH" and just not move...I was idling for about 7-8 minutes and it didn't move at all...

I had the O2 Sensor replaced in September of 2002. It's funny because when I had the emissions test done in July of 2002, I passed, and the guy said I should replace my O2 because of a slightly higher than "normal" readings...so I went ahead and replaced it to see if my mileage would increase...and now, 2 years later...about to go for another emissions test, and this time the damn O2 sensor is acting-up again!!

Today I did a few maitenance things like taking off the throttle body and giving it a good cleaning...as well as the IAC...and I cleaned and re-oiled my K&N Air Filter(which was quite dirty)...and I erased the ECM's memory and did an idle re-learn...

After all of that...NOTHING has changed!!

Anyways...I've heard that O2 Sensors usually only last about a year so I guess I must be due for another one, right?

THANKS!:)

Reply to
bigbossfan80

What kind of vehicle and engine set-up is it? If you have a MAF sensor, the oiled air cleaner can screw it up by depositing oil on the sensor (Toyota owners have had a lot of problems with this). If your vehicle does use a MAF sensor, try removing the oiled air filter and replacing it with a good dry air cleaner element like a NAPA Gold or Hastings (same thing). O2 sensors should last between 30,000 and 50,000 miles, they should not need to be replaced every year (unless you drive a lot of miles each year). Rich B

Rich B

Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd