day time lights

You might search the Congressional Record for the result of the test conducted for the US Senate

Vehicles passing on two lane roads is listed as just one of the reasons why the engineers, from several Universities that did the research for the US Senate, determined DRLs can be DANGEROUS.

The majority of drivers are accustomed to seeing headlamps, not the less dimly lit DRLs, and in that situation they tend to perceive the DRLs a headlamps and thus judge the distance between their vehicle and the approaching vehicle as being far greater than it actually is, leading to a head-on collision.

Every state requires the use of headlamps during times of limited vision and it is common around here in Pennsylvania to see the State Police stopping Canadian drivers traveling I-81, relying on only DRLs, when they should be using headlamps such as at dusk or in fog.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Search the Congressional Record for the Senate report for the information you seek, WBMA.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

ALL personal opinions aside, any debate on the subject is moot. The US government made a factual determination that DRLs create MORE problems than they may eliminate, and made a decision NOT to make DRLs a safety requirement for vehicles sold in the US several years ago, so get over it.

If you want to buy or use DRLs you are free to do so, just remember to turn on you headlamps under those conditions where headlamps are required by your states motor vehicle code, so you don't get sited, WBMA. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I got to agree with the above poster, the DRL's just piss me off, you ever end up at a intersection when the guy across from you has those damn things on? I wouldn't buy a car that had DRL's

Brent

I could not care less about DRL's but you guys who are on such a rant about them are ridiculous. These "reasons" and "evidence" and "hazards" you guys have posted is not even up to the level of weak. When it comes to the competition of this discussion, you and Sharon never even got out of the starting gate. The both of you are funny, but certainly nothing to take seriously.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Quote: "These "reasons" and "evidence" and "hazards" you guys > have posted is not even up to the level of weak."

That's a matter of perspective, like actually believing that driving around with headlights on in broad daylight is a good idea and that it somehow makes driving "safer", even though there?s a mountain of evidence to the contrary. Ask the Bulgarians, where the proof is a mountain of DEAD BODIES:

Sharon Cooke

Mike,

Thanks for your comment. You are saying what? I don't see you presenting any "reasons" and "evidence", just more of the same attempt to break down others instead of coming up with a solid viewpoint to talk about.

Larry

Reply to
Larfx

Mike,

Thanks for your comment. You are saying what? I don't see you presenting any "reasons" and "evidence", just more of the same attempt to break down others instead of coming up with a solid viewpoint to talk about.

Larry

Reply to
Larfx

What part of "I couldn't care less" is unclear? Some of my vehicles have DRL and some don't. Neither bother me with respect to that feature. It does not bother my tender little eyes to encounter another car on the road with DRL's on, and none have ever blinded me, nor caused me not to see them. Likewise, I have no trouble seeing cars that don't have DRL's on. The entire discussion is nothing less than humorous to me. Much ado about nothing.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Wow, that is the most lame piece of "evidence" I've ever seen.

a.. December 2006 (DRLs): 93 deaths.

2006-1996 (no DRLs): 79, 79, 81, 88, 62, 103, 98, 86, 84, 79. (Third place, and we've broken the record for last 6 years)

How is 93 deaths greater than 103 or 98?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I do recall many years ago being taught never to use the parking lights at any time for the reason you cited. Wasn't that also on reason they went from a clear bulb to an amber to avoid the confusion?

Good for PA. I've never seen a car pulled over for lack of lights in foul weather. Still a huge number of vehicles with no lights at all in the rain. My Buick turns the headlights on when you turn the wipers on so you can't forget.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I just don't see a problem with it.

And how many people have been killed by air bags, or seatbelts? Your arguments are pretty weak.

Weak, once again.

This has to be one of the lamest excuses I have ever heard (again). Are you trying to tell me that you can't tell the difference between a car with DRL's on, and a Police car with flashing red (or whichever color in your State) lights? That, and if an emergency vehicle is in that much of a rush, they have these neat things that make noise too.

You should, and she is. At least, from what I have seen on this topic.

Every point you make is bullshit. How do you expect to be taken seriously?

Reply to
80 Knight

Ah-ha. Here we go. "Anyone who uses DRL's are supporting TERRORISTS!!!!!111!!1!1!!" Seriously, get a grip on reality...quickly.

Reply to
80 Knight

You're going back a number of years and "cherry picking". Go to the source data and see the rate declining every year until 2006, when the death rate took a dramatic leap (with DRLs). See the actual chart at:

Sharon Cooke

And you seriously need a course in logic, quickly: A. DRLs make a vehicle burn more fuel, which comes from oil. B. The US gets 40-some percent of it's oil from the Mideast. C. Terrorists are funded by Mideast oil revenues.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

Do you use A/C? Do you drive with the windows down? Is your car perfectly tuned? How aerodynamic is your car? I can go on, but I think you get my point. All of those can cause a vehicle to burn more fuel, but wait. The BIG problem is driving lights... Like I said, get a grip on reality, or better yet, stop driving all together. It will make me feel much better.

Reply to
80 Knight

haveDRLand some don't. Neither bother me with respect to that feature. It

Well then Mike, stay out of the discussion. You are just spinning your wheels here, not contributing anything to the discussion, but just wasting space, I guess. If you truly don't care, then you would not have taken the time to comment.

God bless,

Larry

Reply to
Larfx

Hey Knight, you prove my point, you contribute nothing and call names and curse. And you expect to be taken seriously, right, LOL. I won't be replying specifically to your comments, there is nothing there to actually respond to, ROTFLOL.

Reply to
Larfx

Hmmm, you don't realize that what is being talked about is something that is on all the time. You don't use A/C all the time, for example and you can turn it off. DRLs are generally on and the user has to pull fuses to get them off. You haven't said anything "real" for anyone to grip, oh yeah it must have been the cussing, yeah what a shining example of how to be.

Either address the actual points being made and stop the sarcasm, I feel like I am talking to a person that thought the topic was something else and just wants to rile people up.

Why oh why do we end up with Pro-DRL folks that have no argument or point but continue in the conversation as if their cursing and calling names would actually work. I am interested to see where else this goes, as I think that us folks on the anti-DRL side have made our case.

By the way, Mr. Knight, as pointed out earlier, the U.S. government won't mandate them and manufacturers like Toyota have stopped using them, it is a matter of time. Get with the program and realize that your little lights are only causing you aggravation by making you change them out early, while the rest of us don't have to worry about it.

Anyway, good night everyone :).

Reply to
Larfx

And none of your points make any sense. In this particular post, you and Sharon are trying to convince me that DRL's use up so much fuel that we are helping to fund terrorists. That is a lie, and you know it. As for "all the time", what about the aerodynamics of your car? If you drive a car that isn't aerodynamic, you can't turn that off either.

If you make a point that makes sense, I will give it my best. So far, you have yet to do so.

Made your case? You think you have made your case? You have thrown out the most pitiful excuses I have ever heard. If those "points" are all you have, the pro-DRL people have nothing to worry about.

I couldn't care less what the US government mandates. I don't live there. Here in Canada, they are required by law, and guess what? We don't really mind them.

Reply to
80 Knight