Dex-Cool a couple of questions

I have two questions both related to Dex-Cool, as follows:

1) I have a 2000 Buick Century with a 3.1-Liter V6 engine purchased new. It spends most of its time parked in the garage and has only 9500 miles on it as it is driven but two or three times a month. Buick changes the oil regularly on 3-month intervals but the service department recommends that I have the engine cooling system flushed and refilled. The coolant is clean and looks identical to that which is in its original 1-gallon bottle stored in my garage.

2) I regularly drive a 98 Cavalier with a 2.2-Liter L4 engine purchased new, and has accumulated 45,000 miles to date. The coolant is clean just like the Buick but it was also recommended that I have that cooling system flushed and replaced.

Neither auto has any problem that I?m aware of. Possibly the Cavalier should be serviced but I question if it is required for the Buick. Please excuse my rudimentary questions but those routine maintenance charges keep adding up. Your knowledgeable opinions would be of great assistance.

Reply to
Lidia

I would flush. That stuff get bad after sitting and will eat away at your head gaskets. Even if you have been driving I would still flush every couple a years or at 50k. Just my opinion.

Reply to
Tj

I would do just for the Cavalier (because of the year) and not the Buick.

Reply to
newsgroup

The factory recommendation is 5 years...almost unlimited mileage. In the case of your cars, mileage is not a factor. But time is. Your 98 is way overdue, and the Buick is at about the right time for a coolant change as far as I'm concerned. What coolant looks like can be an important indicator of problems, but it doesn't follow that because the coolant looks brand new, you shouldn't follow the maintenance schedule.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

the way the coolant looks does not matter. that is what you see, all of the rust and other sediments is what you cant. depending on where you live it is best 3 to 5 years to have it flushed. if you only drive the buick a few times a month you should let it run a few times a week for about 10-15 minutes so the coolant can circulate and keep from seperating and leaving deposits.

Reply to
urb's91

I've heard for best maintenance to change the antifreeze yearly and do not mix the Dexcool(Orange) with the other Antifreeze(Green).

Reply to
twins0203

Thank you one and all for your replies, here is just a little update on my post. The sticker in the engine compartment of both cars states 5 years or 150,000 miles. The owners manual of both autos do not explain how to drain and refill only how to add if low plus a warning about mixing old and new antifreeze types. I checked local prices and a power flush is about $70, while a manual drain and refill is $30 to $40. I thought that as the Buick had so little mileage the coolant should last longer but apparently it self-destructs with time regardless of mileage.

Reply to
Lidia

Why would GM contradict this in their owner's manuals then?

Reply to
SgtSilicon

You got me, which GM product do you drive? Both my manuals state the same 5/150 same as the engine compartment sticker.

Reply to
Lidia

Reply to
SgtSilicon

One, two, five, (holy hand grenade segment in MontyPython's Holy Grail) LOL Sorry I typed "3" by mistiookee.

GW

Lidia wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

it also depends on where you live, if you live in the deep south where it gets up above 100 on a regular basis i would do it once a year just to keep it fresh. the further north you get where it doesnt get as hot i would do it every 4 maybe 5 years. weather plays a big factor in this not just what the manual says.

Reply to
urb's91

If the cooling system, including the thermostat, is working properly, I don't see how the weather would have any effect on coolant life. Coolant temp should not go beyond the range of the thermostat regardless of ambient temperature.(within reason, of course) H

Reply to
Hairy

where do you live at? here in MB the temp gets to 90+ from may thru september, and 100+ june thru august combined with humidity reaching

100% you have your air conditioner running half the year it causes the engine to heat up more quickly and for longer periods of time, after a while the coolant WILL start to loose its consistancy and its ability to cool as well as if it were new.
Reply to
urb's91