Dex Cool v The green stuff

What's the difference? I've got a '97 Buick with a 3800. I bought it used and the radiator is low on fluid. Short of popping the petcock, I cannot tell what the last guy was using for antifreeze. How big a deal is using green instead of Dex cool? Mixing the two? Should I just drain whatever is in there and start over with Dex? Thanks.

Reply to
JWald

Read the labels at the FLAPS and you will find many, if not all, the current green formulations are compatible with the DexCool chemistry. A lot of people on here made claims that DexCool and the old green formulation were disastrously incompatible, but these usually seemed to be unfounded claims.

On a car that old, I would drain and flush the block and radiator, just to wash out any trash, rust, etc that may have accumulated. Then refill with coolant of your choice. I have honestly never been very impressed by the DexCool. The reason is the protection of aluminum alloys , which was pretty decent with the green silicate formulations.

Reply to
hls