Alt.autos.gm

This newsgroups has undergone a number of changes in the past years, but now seems to be defunct.

I had friends here, I figured, but also had people who attacked.

I am not thin skinned, but considering that the smell of death is on this group, I say best regards to you all, the wise, the not-so-wise, and the frankly insane.

Outtahere

HLS

Reply to
hls

Well, it certainly will die if everyone has your attitude. Newsgroups lost a lot of participants when the major ISPs dropped them and people had no idea where to go for another server.

You can leave, or you can add to the posting with your comments, suggestions, questions, answers, and parry with Mike Hunt. Even Mike is gone, for better or worse. I know he was getting on in years, hate to have something happen to him.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks for your inputs. And I too am down to just 3, even though I used to be in 20+.

News groups may come back when people realize the censorship and herd management that goes on elsewhere is bullsh-t. But there are new boards and places that are open...they will survive. Live free or die.

Enjoy.

Reply to
Canuck57

Facebook, twitter and others get most of the action these days. As long as they don't censor too much, newsgroups will slowly die. What keeps it alive that it is 100% open, and software exists. Microsoft hates it as they can't lock you in.

Not that I agree, as newsgroups was the first social networking out in wide scale use. Sure, FIDO existed, so did private list servers but news groups hit big in its time. Because it was open and free. Companies like GM hate this place as I can put my opinions and experience here and not a damned thing they can do about it.

But the technology is old. Could get reborn as we lose our liberties...and several "private" feeds exist.

Reply to
Canuck57

hls wrote, "This newsgroups has undergone a number of changes in the past years, but now seems to be defunct. I had friends here, I figured, but also had people who attacked.

I am not thin skinned, but considering that the smell of death is on this group, I say best regards to you all, the wise, the not-so-wise, and the frankly insane.

Outtahere"

*******************

I couldn't disagree more. In the first place, it could just be a lull in the activity, like a lot of ng's have. I have gotten a lot of valuable advice here; saved me a bunch of money

-- we all have! And as such, the LAST thing I would condone is to just "bail" as soon as it looks like it's starting to fizzle. I agree with Canuck -- don't protest it dying by killing it. This group is going to be one of my favs buttons for as long as possible.

Reply to
James Goforth

"I agree with Canuck -- don't protest it dying by killing it..." Whoops, it was Ed I was actually agreeing with, and Canuck as well. Anyways, don't close the book on this discussion room just yet. Any day I will likely develop a real mind-blower of a problem with my car to post, so a bunch of guys will post a reply to it -- who in turn will be called out for being a dumbass by someone who disagrees, and so on. Sometimes we can get about 5 days worth. You know -- spirited discussion, and all that.

Reply to
James Goforth

You just helped someone with a question on Dex Cool versus the green stuff 2 days ago and now all of a sudden you don't like the site anymore and are leaving. I don't understand your logic. I think this group and many others have a lot of good to offer the average joe out there looking for some help.

Reply to
BR549

Facebook will probably reach a peak and go down again.

ng have survived a lot of changes.

There are a lot of problems with Facebook and one of the biggest problems i= s censorship, spam and security problems.

I tried facebook but gave up on it some years ago.

long=20

Politicians and big corporations do not want freedom of speech.=20

There is some law proposed in the US coming up 27.jan trying to limit freed= om of speech.

Reply to
gosinn

It is mostly GM that has changed rather than the ng.

The ngs are also very independent of GM.

There are millions of people using all kinds of ngs.

GM was interesting before it went belly up.

I am not sure if GM is very exciting at the moment so the discussion about if it will get moving again or not are not very interesting.

The Volt is microscopic and a hybrid and not an electric.

I do not miss Mike Hunt really but it was at least interesting that someone tried to defend GM.

There is noone defending GM anymore and probably because noone really beliefs them to start again.

How many brands are left?

Does not anyone care?

Reply to
gosinn

HLS is a Toyota owner. He despises GM. He's said that often enough. So there's nothing new there. Just a parting shot continuation of slagging GM.

That's the bulk of posts here. Grinding an axe. Which is fine by me. Gets me a good price when I buy used GM cars. I dread the day that used GM cars command a premium price. HLS answered the anti-freeze question, else me or somebody else would have.

If somebody asks a question, usually he gets an answer. But it doesn't much matter. If somebody can use usenet, they can use google. Moderated internet forums exist for most car models. Some people still don't want to register so they can use the forums' search.functions. I was like that, but got over it quickly when I saw how easy it was and found I never got spammed. When I recently did plenum and intake manifold gaskets on my son's

3800 and my 3100, I found all the deep and thorough info I needed on the Bonneville and w-body forums.

If I want actual owner "reviews" on cars I can go to Edmunds and other forums. Here you find mostly GM slagging by those who got burned by GM, or simplistic Japanese car love poems. Why would anybody with any street smarts at all come here? I occasionally post stuff here about work I've done on my GM cars that might be useful to others. Not because they will come here to see it, but because it will show up in an internet google search. I still look at this group's headers for anything interesting or that I might help with.

90% of the posts just get deleted unread.

Many usenet groups are dead now because of internet forums, and because dingbats come to usenet for unrestricted mouthing off. There's some fine examples of that here. They can talk with themselves. It is what it is. No sense waxing sentimental about usenet. There are plenty of venues for expressing yourself politely or information interchange. Usenet discussion groups will die only when dingbats stop responding to other dingbats. That probably won't happen (-:

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

censorship, spam and security problems.

Agreed, to some degree Facebook is a fad, but the concept is here to stay. Someday Facebook might be like Netscape, replaced by another wave.

Yep. If you have the right mindset, you can even see how well media sources the government propaganda that is fed to us.

Not surprising. Government already steals people economic liberty.

Reply to
Canuck57

Agreed.

Priceless, harder for GM to push their bullsh1t. Any crooked company would love to shut up the people on the discontent of their corporate and union behavior. For example, using the tax man to steal from people to bailout auto corruption.

Yep.

Yep.

it will get moving again or not are not very interesting.

GM is losing money again. As if once wasn't enough.

tried to defend GM.

Now that you mention it.....hahahaha

them to start again.

I just want GM out of our pocket forever. Trouble is they are still costing us taxpayers money. Special government backed discounts, government shares going for $34 to $20, back door government subsidies to buy GM, even GM money used in lobby groups and the financial run down of yet another financial company, AmeriCredit.

GM seal from my and my family gets no respect. They can screw me in taxes, but at the till they lose big.

Reply to
Canuck57

Saab used to be GM=FE

There have been several twists and bends while it is drawing its last breat= hs.

Several vultures have been trying to squeeze money out of people wanting to= keep Saab alive.

Strange but it is true several people actually care.

Basically people making money from it.

The chinese have tried to get at some of the technology but interestingly G= M has had to give ok on some issues and have refused.

An interesting part of this failure is that they need to produce spare part= s and provide some kind of service for a long time.

I do not know about other GM brands but I guess there are several other bra= nds facing similar issues.

Reply to
gosinn

keep Saab alive.

Saab used to be independent before GM. It was a good brand that appealed to a certain type of driver that appreciated the unmistakable style and some of the quirkiness of the overall design. Little things like the ignition key placement.

GM tried to make it another mass market brand and diluted the appeal to hard core Saab buyers and never pulled in enough others to make it profitable. It was just another car that happened to be made in Sweden.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

GM's mode was to take any vehicle name and make it mass appeal... Witness Hummer, for example... A brand that sold a few hundred very high end vehicles to a very unique market: GM wanted to make it mass market, cookie cutter sold to everyone. They failed horribly, the H1 owners were upset because their very unique status was being very diluted (after all, what would a Rolls-Royce owner say if a $30K Rolls were to be made? Or a Ferrari owner were a Ferrari SUV to be produced?) and the end result was the predictable destruction of the brand. AM General produced under 12,000 Hummer H1s in the 1992 to 2006 period that the vehicle was sold, about 800 or so per year. Classic fumbling management, failure (absolute and total) to comprehend the market, failure to understand what they were doing.

Funny, more than a few Hummer H1 owners are also Saab owners! (I have both, and I know others who do as well...)

Reply to
PeterD

These very people are buying Volts now.

I have to admit I had a Saab once.

One of the biggest I made.

Saab tried to be high tech without thinking about quality.

After having the Saab for a while and complaining about all the problems I = was having I was told I should have listened to the taxi drivers.

They never bought Saabs (at least not twice)=20

It is better to learn from other peoples mistakes.

I am going to keep my current car and buy a pure electric to use along side= it.

It is difficult to decide which one to get.

In general an electric should be simple so I can not understand why they ne= ed to be so expensive and I do not know which one to trust making a good on= e.

Certainly not GM and they can not even make an electrical car.

The Volt is NOT an electrical car.

Saying the Volt is an electrical car shows all people what GM is.

Reply to
gosinn

Of the few H1s I'm aware of, they are used off road on rugged terrain for hunting or ranch use. Of all the H2 and H3s (sissy Hummers) around, I've never seen one used for anything but a decoration and grocery bag hauler. The drivers of them are as clean and shiny as their Hummer too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I do know a few H1 owners who never, ever go off-road, and a few H2/H3 owners who do, but generally speaking H1 owners use their vehicles as intended. To not do so would be like buying that Ferrari and only driving it to the super market, never exceeding 30 MPH!

(A few H1 owners have two of them, one for doing the rugged off-road stuff, and one to keep looking its very best.)

Reply to
PeterD