G-05 Coolant As A DEX-COOL Replacement

Has anyone with bad experiences with DEX-COOL gone to G-05 instead of conventional green or reusing DEX-COOL? All I really know about G-05 is that it has been around for about 20 years, Mercedes and John Deere have used it successfully in that time, and Ford and Chrysler have gone to it recently. I would bet it would work fine as the site below says it meets GM Specs 1825M and 1899M...

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

"Buford T. Justice" wrote

Why don't you try it in your vehicles and report back to us?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Why would I want to try it to find out when someone here may have already? I want to talk to them not you so scram!

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

Seriously. I have heard that some GM dealerships have replaced DEX-COOL in some GM vehicles completely with conventional green which is probably just fine. I honestly wonder if G-05 would be an even better choice since it is an OAT coolant (well actually it is a hybrid so it is an HOAT coolant). If there are any gaskets or seals designed for an OAT coolant, I would think G-05 would work wonderfully. Correct?

I do notice that the site in my original post has a FAQ section and says this...

Can you use Zerex G-05 in a GM Vehicle? While one can use Zerex G-05 in a GM vehicle, Valvoline recommends that you use a GM DEX-COOL approved formula in a GM vehicle under warranty.

Reading between the lines, I am taking this to mean that they don't recommend it unless your vehicle is out of warranty. Heck, I might actually go ahead and convert to G-05 from conventional green just to see. I'll research the topic more before I make the jump.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

"Buford T. Justice"

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Yeah one of the big arguments going on is over silicates. Some say not having them increases water pump life. Other says that is far from the truth and that silicates protect aluminum nicely. I found this article that made since. In fact, the radiator cap on the first picture looks like the one off my Mom's car but the radiator spout on hers was not nearly as bad as this one. I was impressed with the 2 water pump pictures in that article also.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

|"Buford T. Justice"