Fuel Injector Cleaners

Hi

This may sound strange, but I've been driving Fuel Injection cars for the past 15 years (Z24 2.8 MPFI, Sunbird 2.0 TBI, Grand-Am 90 2.3 MPFI Corvette

89 5.7 TPI) and I never used an injector cleaner. Is it necessary to clean injectors or add a cleaner to the fuel.

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Black Bomb

If you live in California, the answer is yes due to the additives in the gas. GM has issued a TSB on 5.7L SPFI engines for California and extended the warranty on these injectors to 10 years / 200,000 miles. The TSB tells the service dealers to flush the injectors -- you can do the same thing by adding the cleaner to the gas tank.

Black Bomb wrote:

Reply to
Ric Bednar

It's not absolutely necessary in most cases but, it doesn't hurt. I use one in my vehicles about every 25,000 miles and everything woks great. If you want a cleaner that works well though, buy either Techron or Seafoam; they're the best of the additives that I've found. For a great spray carb cleaner, I use Berkebile 2+2 Instant Gum Cutter or you can get the NAPA brand (Mike's Carb Cleaner, I think) spray which is the same thing (both of them smell like mothballs and work like magic). I've tried dozens of other brands of carb/injector cleaners/sprays and these are the only ones that I've found to work as advertised. Rich B

Rich B

Black Bomb wrote in alt.autos.gm

Usually not, but if you notice the car running a bit rough you can try running a good cleaner through the gas tank.

Reply to
Dick C

THANKS

I'LL GIVE IT A TRY

DAN

Reply to
Black Bomb

The newest cars have a smaller opening in the injectors than cars of the past. This leads to more injector clogging. I can tell you that on the newer

What about the advice that modern fuels already contain detergents and such which help clean injectors (or at least keep them clean)?

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

I'll put in my two cents here since I just within the last month researched and had my injectors cleaned using a "motorvac" which is the same as described using a fuel/cleaner mix that is run through the engine.

I had rough idle and miss on a '95 2.3L. It just wouldn't go away. I'd use Seafoam and that tank it would run great, then it was back to normal. I finally decided to have them cleaned using that method.

It worked wonderfully, and was fairly inexpensive, though not at all when compared to buying a can or bottle of cleaner.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.