FYI Fix blower speeds 1 and 2 on a 1999 Chev Malibu 62500 miles and other fixes

OK so it a basic post but an FYI at that. I bought a 1999 Malibu with 3.1 motor with 62500 miles around July

2007 Central NY state USA Fixed blower speeds 1 and 2 by replacing the resistor pack. Around $16 at Advanced auto. The pack is next to the blower under the glove box. Remove cover, 3 bolts, The panel has some duct work so it needs to slide to the right a bit, Remove large wire plug next to firewall from pack. Remove pack. This is next to firewall and somewhat hard to get at. Not too bad two small bolts. The pack is a thin board that is placed so air can blow by it to cool it.

New board is longer with more surface area to cool it.

Reason for failure. A best guess. Resistance produces heat, highest at lowest setting (1) hence most heat, least amount of air moving by it to cool it. Small surface area too small to cool it fully?

Other things I did/doing All new springs and struts Both front outer tie rod ends. Minor painting all around car near bottom mostly and around gas filler. New oil and filter Having transmission flushed and using Mobil 1. New plugs - they looked OK but wanted to add anti-seaze to them. Check wires. All looked and metered OK Looked at PVC and EGR valves. OK Changed coolant by removing lower heater hose. The plug was too much of a pain to deal with. Going to have line-up done. Battery looks fine, from 2005 Changed air filter Sealed headlight. Had water and mist in it. Need to get under car and paint-paint-paint for rust.

Anything else I should do/look for? Just email me. Any questions on the above stuff email me too. Thanks

Reply to
kjones1200

Just an update. When on a 500 mile trip. Things I noted.

29 MPG 3.1 J motor the pass front strut creaks. GREAT now I get to pull that apart again!!! the AC would turn off from time to time. Otherwise had like 41 degree air. Want more power. Oh well

Otherwise the car was good.

Reply to
kjones1200

The A/C working intermittently may be caused by bad contacts in the A/C controller. Here's a link to instructions for fixing it:

I repaired mine four years ago when it began to show the symptoms mentioned and it's still working.

Good luck with your 'bu!

Regards, John

Reply to
John Sheatsley

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Thanks John. The light does blink. Something else to fix. Keep ya posted.

it:

kjones1200

Well I just did the "FIX". Need to take a trip over 10 mins to see if it works. Not too hard to do. Note need to pry off the plastic around the key ring first. All went well and nothing cracked.

Keep ya posted.

it:

kjones1200