Chev Astro heater fan problem

Just in the middle of the coldest spell of the year my 92 chev astro front heater fan decides to pull an intermittent problem on me. I will be driving and the fan will stop working, then start working out of the blue. It now spends more time not working than working!

I dug into my crappy haynes manual to see what I am up to with trouble shooting the problem. From the look of it I am dealing with 3 components. The HAVC control module on the dash (the temp and mode levers and the fan switch), the Blower motor resistor and relay pack and the blower motor.

The fan seem ok, I am suspecting the fan switch or the Blower motor resistor and relay pack. Can anyone tell me where the Blower motor resistor and relay pack is situated? I can't seem to tell from the manual.

Anyway anyone got any ideas, experiences with this problem?

TIA

Tony.

Reply to
tony

Bad ground on the fan housing. There is a 1/4 inch push on ground connection on the fan motor housing. Pull it off and clean it.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Bobo

Ok I did the trouble shooting and it seems to be a ground problem to the heater motor (a jumper wire from a body ground to the heater motor terminal (with fan switch on high) triggers the high blow relay and starts the fan) . Looking at the generic schematic of the systems I see that the ground is for both the heater motor and the high blow relay coil. Do have any idea where this ground is situated so I can secure it?

TIA

Tony

Reply to
tony