GM cuts overtime hours on softening demand

GM cuts overtime hours on softening demand

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors Corp. says it's cutting scheduled overtime hours in six plants to avoid excessive inventories of full-size pickups and SUVs after high fuel prices and a weak housing market have softened demand.

Consumers are less likely to take out home equity loans to fund a car purchase, and in the United States, a market traditionally more heavily weighted toward trucks and SUVs, that segment is taking a direct hit.

In addition, housing contractors, who represent a significant chunk of the market for pickups, are putting off new truck purchases during a slowdown in the housing market.

"Gas prices are still driving people out of the full-size segment and into crossovers" and sedans, said GM spokesman Tom Wickham, noting a trend spurred by soaring fuel prices following hurricanes Katrina and Rita last year.

While GM has actually seen an increase in its share of the pickup and SUV segment, "the fact is we're selling fewer vehicles this than last year," Wickham said.

GM's manufacturing changes, which are expected to last till the end of the year, eliminate scheduled overtime hours and do not affect unexpected overtime that might be required due to an interruption in manufacturing, GM says.

But since revenue is recognized as soon as vehicles leave the plant, GM's cut in scheduled overtime will directly impact revenue.

The automaker had ramped up scheduled overtime to coincide with the launch of its 2007 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks.

"If inventory levels get too high, you're compelled to increase incentives which hurts the resale value of product," Wickham said. "We're working hard to improve resale value."

Last month, GM boosted incentives to as much as $3,500 cash back and offered zero percent financing on some of its full-sized pickups after Toyota's unexpected move of offering $4,000 cash back for its new, competing large truck, the Toyota Tundra.

Overall, August U.S. auto sales could be off by 10 percent from a year ago, according preliminary data from industry sales tracker Edmunds.com, with falling home values and credit credit problems having a considerable impact.

July sales that were down 19 percent year-over-year. And even though sales at big three automakers GM (up $0.08 to $31.16, Charts, Fortune

500), Ford (down $0.10 to $7.82, Charts, Fortune 500) and Chrysler have recently been bypassed by Toyota (up $0.97 to $115.46, Charts) in the United States, Toyota and Honda (up $0.07 to $32.17, Charts) sales fell in July as well.
Reply to
Jim Higgins

Duh, what makes that newsworthy? Any manufacturing plant cuts back overtime when things are slow.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

At least they are better at that than Chrysler was. Considering the present state of Detroit I thought it was interesting, sorry.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

And the poster is too stupid to add a few words of his own.

If I were interested in such, I could find it on my own.

Reply to
Scott

You must be among those that "proudly" proclaim that they never read books.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

If GM is not careful soon they will need to go much higher rebates, maybe even as high as the rebates being offered by Toyota on its Tundra.

Worse yet the sales of the Silverado could fall all the way down to those of the poor selling Tundra, or even down the Honda Ridgeline sales, as well. That would be a tragedy ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to