2007 Monte Carlo V-8 rental

Had to go to Pennsylvania USA on business. Rented a 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo - 2 dr $200 for 7 days. $6 more per day than a basic Chevy Cobalt.

5.3 L V-8, 303 hp, P235/50R18 tires, XM radio, leather seats Start miles 5836, end miles 6989 = 1153 miles in 7 days. Typical mpg 19.1, worst 15, best 24 The engine looks like it would be easy to work on.

Likes: power - that 303 hp was very nice but the heavy Chevy could not keep up with a Subaru WRX during twisty mountain road racing comfort - nice - a great highway cruiser handling - a bit too light rear end - the rear end lifts off the ground when hard braking during a downhill switchback turn. brakes - great brakes dash layout - center speedo w/fuel and temp gauges & usless tach power window switches - push down for down and pull up for up!

Acceptable: stereo sound - typical mushy GM sound dash vent placement dual zone A/C wipers heated seats headlights

8 cyl - 4 cyl operation ok but noticble bump when going into 8 cyl mode

Dislikes:

4 speed auto trans - this car really should have 5 or more speeds shiftgate too easy - does not latch - useless for manual mode - IMO a sporty car needs a paddle shifter only one power outlet in the dash area no padding on arm rests - a GM trademark center arm rest box cover latch button on left - makes it hard to open and will eventually cause the cover to break A/C starts up in recirc mode - annoying, have to manually change it. can't turn off A/C compressor in recirc mode - really annoying seat back does not return to desired position - really, really annoying, A GM trademark. sun visors don't cover windshield and don't bend steering wheel clunk & sudden stiffness - shaft binding ? no trunk key cylinder

Would I buy this car? No. If almost any Japanese car has solved those dislikes, I can't understand why GM cannot do the same. My old 92 Grand Am is still the better car in every respect except engine power.

Reply to
PauL

My old 92 Grand Am is still the better car in every respect except

You have high standards and should keep the collectable 92 Grand Am. Technology at GM has gone down in the last fifteen years, eh? Can't make them like they used to.

Reply to
Vaughn

Technology has gone up, quality and endurance has gone down. Lots of half-functional junk added to try and satisfy everyone.

Reply to
PauL

Really? How do account for the good reports, by various consumer reports, that show GM is our doing many of the so called superior import brands?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Depends on the report. I rent a vehicle about every 2-3 weeks and put about 1000 miles on each one. Have done that for the last five years. GM makes some good machines but its things like not having a seat back return to orig position, or not having an a/c compressor shut off switch, or having intake manifold leaks for 15 years because of poor design, or not having visors that block the sun, or not having padded arm rests, or having info displays that cannot be seen during the day, or having outside mirrors that taper to a point and are almost useless that make many people shy away.

Reply to
PauL

Thanks for the report.

How was the head room? You forgot to say if you could comfortably hang your arm out the window while driving.

Other things to consider in future reports - Speed of the windows.

A friend (a Chevy employee) rents from Avis and has gotten the same Grand Marquis 3 times in a row. He & the wife like it, last time the got a Town Car.

Back when they had rented the LeSabre's my friend said it was ok - but not the greatest.

harryface

05 Park Avenue 60,789 91 Bonneville 309,900
Reply to
Harry Face

OH! Thanks Harry. I forgot to add those. I could comfortably hang my arm out the window! Had to put the power seat up just a little to do it but it still left about 2"-3" of head room. Did not notice anything odd about the window speed so it was probably normal. As usual for me it was windows down, earplugs in, stereo up all the way. Due to the population density (and police density) in the northeast I never got above 75 mph but getting there was fun.

0-60 was about 6 seconds. The car probably would have maxed out around 130 mph.
Reply to
PauL

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

You make it hard to respond totally, but here goes:

I BUY my cars myself, KEEP them a while if I like them: therefore; I consider myself at least smart enough to be able to respond to your post.

The last car I bought was a brand-new, 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix ( I guess you could call it a cousin, or maybe even a brother, to the Chevy Monte Carlo)

It has,

3.8 litre V-6 16 inch tire XM radio cloth seats On Star gets 30 MPG pretty easy.

I personally dont race in the mountains very often, but I think with my V-6, I would have no trouble knocking off this Subaru any place else, I dont think your v-8 would have any trouble, either.

Every thing you mentioned is OK for this car owner.

My stereo sounds pretty good to me.

works

ok

surely any make of car's wipers' work, dont they????

have cloth seat, and no heated ones, I'll tell you about my '98 GTP with heated seats sometime if you like.

By far, nothing else is even CLOSE to even being close, the best headlights on a car I have ever owned!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor baby. My armrests are soft enough without padding!

Being VERY PICKY here, arent we????

I really love my AC, would not change anything on it, it WORKS REALLY WELL!!!!

Dont know what you are saying here. Must be VERY picky.

Yes, In a heartbeat, Have done so before, and will probalby do so again,

My father-in-law had a 92 Grand Am. Nice car. I owned a 2003 Grand Am. Vastly Superior. Absoultly NO comparison at all. My '03 Grand am was much better all the way around. Looked nice, more power, better gas milage, More options.

Having said that, I can deduce two things:

  1. My 03 Grand Am was MUCH better than ANY 92 Grand AM.
  2. I have never set my ass in a fully loaded 07 fully loaded Monte Carlo (or Grand Prix), but I can bet the last dollar out of my pocket that they are a FAR better car than my 03 ever was, so what does that say about trying to compare it with a 92 model?????
Reply to
coachrose13

I'm guessing you don't know what a WRX is. Look that sucker up, it'll blow your doors off.

Ever had HID lights? I wouldn't consider a car without Xenon's.

Brent

I'll admit to blowing smoke out of my ass on this one. If my 06 wont run against this unknown, I'll bring out my 98 GTP (Very fast, looks great, handle well, gets 30 MPG), and if that doesnt work, I guess I'll have to go with my 98 Trans AM, fully loaded, real brutal. Hope I dont have to go that far with this WRX stuff. Real reknowed. See a lot of them on the road around here, and even more were it really counts, in the movies.

Naw, but if they were better than the ones on my 06 GP, I couldnt use them without sunglasses.

Now, would you like to try to compare the 07 Monte Carlo with my 03 Grand AM, or a 92 or 91 Grand AM???

Reply to
coachrose13

Couldnt resist, so I looked this car, up, had to try several times, I guess, due to its popularity. First impression is, ugly, Ugly, UGLY!!!!!!!!!! I see why one had to race them in the mountains.

I see this turbo-version has about 30 more horsepower than my non- aspirated, much heavier 06 GP does. Fair, enough, probably a little quicker, but certainly wont "blow my doors off" I'll take my better looks, larger exterior and interior, (get great raves every where I go, from both young and old), any day.

My 98 GTP is MUCH nicer than my 06, looks better, handles better, and has 10 more horespower than the WRX. People even know what this car IS around my parts. I believe it could dust this Swedish car with not much trouble, so I'll keep my Trans Am in the garage. One nice thing, though, at least I'm not debating the merits of a GM product over a Toyota this time!

Reply to
coachrose13

Wow.

All I can say is that you are obviously not a car guy. Yeah, the Scooby us fugly as can be, but its only real competition in the US is the Mitsu Lancer Evo. It is basically at the top of its class.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I had a 95 Z28(13.6's) and a 99 TA (13.5's) myself, ran pretty good. The AWD STi would eat your lunch to 60-70 MPH, then you can kill him on top end. Those WRX's are damn fast. A GTP or whatever would stand NO chance.

Don't knock HID's, they have a different light output that gives MUCH less glare back into the car. I have them on my Maxima and G35, and LOVE them. Unbelievable output and so easy on the eyes.

Brent

Reply to
Brent

Yeah, but what kind of class or we talking about? Probably not a car guy, only owned 25 or so, all being domestic, and all but two being GM. I admit I know little about the turbo-scoop hatchback, or whatever they call it, other than what I have read, but I'll stick with my Pontiacs. I probably dont hang around with the right type of clientele, but every where I go in either of them, I get complments. I'd probably get laughed at driving up in one of those Subarus. The GP's look nice, have decent interior space, large trunks, run well, (I'll still say the GTP is downright fast!), and get 30 MPG highway if you drive them right. Are they the same type of car as the Swedish uglymobile? Well, no, but the author of this thread was trying to compare it with a Monte Carlo, at least to an extent.

Reply to
coachrose13

Both cars are listed by most publications as being mid-fives 0-60. I'll admit if you are in the firebird against the AWD, you'd have to be carefull about wheel-spin. So, "eat my lunch" is kina doubtful, if I know what I'm doing. Anyway, most of my "racing" is done when someone "picks" on me, usually at highway speeds. That is the reason I said I'd leave my TA in the garage. The GTP is a pretty fast car, especially when the top-speed governer (I think its 126 MPH) is removed.

Not knocking them. Re-read what I said. The headlights on my 06 GP are by far the best I have ever used. Plenty good enough for my 40- something-year-old eyes, I dont need anything better at this time.

Reply to
coachrose13

The class would be "street legal versions of world class rally racers."

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Just another example of whats wrong with the world if these pug-ugly things are "world-class."

Reply to
coachrose13