GM to slash prices

"Buying quality is a little like buying oats. To get good clean oats, you will pay a fair price. However, if you want oats that have already been run through the horse .... that is a little cheaper....."

Reply to
Morton Throckmocker

NO NO NO my friend. Anology is not fact. The car business is a horse trading business. This is not about lowering prices. This is about RAISING prices in disguise. GM fully intends to have the net price received for the vehicles go up. Otherwise, what's the point? If they can do it by advertising a lower MSRP with no rebate, so much the better. For years the vehicles have been overpriced on an MSRP basis. The companies always hoped they could get back closer to that level. I think this move is recognition that those inflated MSRP's are never again going to fly. They are not attempting to "lose a little on each sale and make it up in volume." The other companies will shuffle pricing as well hoping to confuse buyers. However, the Internet has done much to alert people to the cost of a vehicle and make them smarter shoppers.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Bah! What do goats have to do with the price of cars?

Is it just me or are there a lot of new names in the news group? Morton Throckmocker you say? Cox Communications seems to be busy with trolls!

Reply to
Cool Jet

Bah! What do goats have to do with the price of cars? Call me crazy, but there seem to be a lot of new names trolling the newsgroup! Morton ThrockMocker? Bah! That's a goat of a different color!

Reply to
Cool Jet

Reply to
Steve Georgiou

Damn, I thought everyone knew......what with the goats eating up all the rusty old tin cans, the japs are having to look for new sources of material to build their cars with. That's why they cost more than the domestics.

Call me crazy,

Yeah, I think he posts as Mort The Jock Flogger over at the Toy group.

Reply to
Hairy

The problem with trying to market the "Buy American" label is that it has become impossible to define. Which is more "American", a Chevy Impala assembled in Canada with a Chinese engine or a Honda Accord assembled in Ohio with an engine built in Alabama? How about a Ford Fusion from Mexico or a Dodge Ram from Mexico? Perhaps nobody will notice that the low end Chevy Aveo is a completely Korean product.

Buy American as a marketing slogan has been completely destroyed by the practices of the traditional US brands.

Heck, this goes way back. I remember when Chrysler executives were bitching about the Japanese while at the same time buying all of their V-6 engines from Mitsubishi Japan and most of their four cylinder motors from VW.

John

Reply to
John Horner

LMAO! Hairy, it's been a long week and I needed a good laugh. Thanks!

Reply to
Cool Jet

Good Lord AGAIN? Just last week a GM official said the employee prices were a mistake. He said the sold lots of product at little profit then sales slumped. It just shows people will buy anything on a sale. Is this the only way GM can sell their questionable products?

In the meantime Toyota and others who are selling their good products just chug on upwards.

Reply to
Spam Hater

If it's true the Japanese (?) cars are more expensive what are the consumers seeing that gets their wallet out?

Reply to
Spam Hater

Yes but also another larger car. I looked at them, I judged their construction inferior.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Which were most made in the good old USA.

Chrysler were early with FWD, good for them. They use the VW drive train- complete with manual transmission.

We had two with VW engines, they had valve troubles. Then I had Chrysler's own 4 cyl 2.2L, a great engine, but unfortunately they screwed their own 4 sp manual transmission. If I had know it was their transmission I wouldn't have bought it for a few years, but I needed to dump the VW engine one I had.

Reply to
Spam Hater