Got brakes?

DETROIT ? General Motors Co. is recalling more than 4,000 of its 2012 Chevrolet Sonic subcompact cars to check for missing brake pads. Some Sonics could be missing an inner or outer brake pad, which could increase stopping distance. GM said there are no known crashes or injuries related to the issue. The recall involves 4,296 of GM's 2012 Sonics sold in the U.S. Affected models are from the Orion Township, Mich., assembly plant, which makes Sonics for the U.S. and Canadian markets. Dealers will inspect front brakes on Sonics for missing inner or outer pads and install new pads, if necessary. Customers affected by the recall will receive dealer letters beginning Jan. 14.

Read more:

Ed Pawlowski

Union labor at it's finest....

Reply to
Steve W.

Ooops. Union made.

Reply to
Canuck57

"Hello, Scrap-It? I've got about 4,000 pairs of brake pads for the Chevrolet Sonic, 2012 model. Brand new, how much will you give me for them?"

Reply to
PeterD

Interestingly enough those kinds of things become obsolete when there are generators in every wheel and braking will generate energy.

In general a lot of things will change and become obsolete.

In general then general motors is becoming obsolete.

Reply to
gosinn

This news link was a bit lame, Ed... not your fault, certainly. But were the pads never installed, or did they just belch out the friction material and leave the backing in contact with the disc???

More crap from GM.

Reply to
hls

generators in every wheel and braking will generate energy.

True. On a real electric car that is well designed the brakes would be the motor first as a generator then using power. Applying physical brakes only when the car is off and at rest.

We used to use these DC servo motors some 20 years ago on CNC equipment, they could move tons and were no bigger than a cake pan. Put one on each tire and no transmission, just a computer control and less to go wrong and 4 wheel drive. I see electric cars doing this in the longer term.

But GM idiots still have gear boxes for brains.

Reply to
Canuck57

I hear they call them Sonic as they go sonic b00m when they can't stop in time.

Reply to
Canuck57

Too funny. I just got a letter from my nearest dealer yesterday. No mention in it of said recall. All errors with capitalization, ETC. are his.

Quote:

Marty Hatfield:

"I Started at Pete Harkness Chevrolet, Buick in October as a salesman. I have lived in this area all my life, growing up south of Cincinnati, graduated high school from Centerville High School. My wife's name is Nancy she grew up in Unionville, Iowa and Graduated High School in Moravia, Iowa. We made our home in Moravia and raised 2 children there. We attend church at the Lighthouse Church of the Nazarene in Moravia where we are both very active."

(Chevy logo)

"I want to invite you to stop in for a visit when you are in the neighborhood"

(next column)

"NEW 2012" (Chevy logo) "Sonic"

(Image of Sonic car)

" I recently had the privilege of driving the Sonic and found it VERY impressive. As a full figured man I require "some space", I found the Sonic to have ample head room and leg room." " The 1.8 liter ECOTech 16 valve engine delivers 138 HP@6300RPMs and 125 LB-FT of torque at 3800RPMs. I found it to have explosive performance and still gets 40 MPG. You can also get a 1.4 liter ECOTech Turbo Charged Engine." " It has a very short turning radius [34.5 Ft. turn diameter], the electric steering gives a sporty feel at highway speeds and is very nimble in parking lots and other tight places. All this adds to the astounding performance." " The "Inferno Orange" color and the hatch back styling with the wide track stance, is bold and sporty." " Interior is very well laid out with all controls within easy reach and the interment layout is visually stunning and well laid out. The light blue digital display is also a plus." " The most impressive thing about the Sonic is the base price of $14,995 yet still getting into a nicely loaded one for under $18,000"

(Chevy logo)

"Come and see a new 2012 SONIC today."

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know