Real electrical cars

2012 looks to be the year of the real electrical cars.

Some big players are reluctantly entering the market.

If they do not they will be left in the dust.

At a minumum they are coming with a plug in plug-in-hybrid like the Volt but better, lighter and less costly so it will be interesting to see what GM is going to do.

Will they come forward with a real car or be left in the dust?

Reply to
gosinn

If GM's experience with quasielectric cars is the form of the future, maybe the big players better be reluctant. This is far far from a proven path.

Reply to
hls

I would say in 300 years they will mostly be electric. But not in this lifetime.

Electric vehicles need two ingredients to really make it work main stream. And neither issue has been resolved.

First is better batteries. Sorry, cutting in gas in 40 miles isn't electric, it is non-value added complexity. And there is a mater of expense too, Lithium isn't cheap and an environmental hazard in its own right. Better, safer and less toxic batteries are needed.

Second issue is power. Paying someone else to burn the carbon and line loss, charging loss isn't efficient use of energy. Carbon still flies, or plutonium still pollution of a more deadly kind. Even if we could politically manage nuclear, which Japan proves we cannot, be so many of them the probabilities of Japan accidents happening every year become real.

More likely to occur, and already occurring in Asia is cars become obsolete as permanent fixtures in a garage. Replaced by public transportation, usually subway rail or maglev for distances. If you need a car for the weekend to go fishing, you rent one. but for day to day city life, end of cars in favor of a local electric rail trolley.

Imagine traveling to the edge of city to get a car for the hike to the mountains and a maglev for elsewhere. At 350+ mph maglev rapid transit planes then become obsolete for short non-water travel.

The reality is if cars can't be made cheap and for the tasks needed, they will in time become obsolete and less pervasive in our society. Even the government Motors came up with 100,000 miles per gallon at $50 million per car, no one is going to buy it.

Reply to
Canuck57

The electrics are finally coming and they are coming in strong this year an= d next.

You are right that they need these things but wrong that they have not been= solved because they have.

GMs of this world may want to stall the development and say things like tha= t to keep people in fear but it is not true anymore.

Ordinary electrical cars with no space issues are going 400 miles without n= eed to recharge.

Strangely enough then lithium is relatively cheap and there is a lot of it.

Nuclear is a solution and so are many other energy sources to create electr= icity.

This is an interesting development and strange that the US is not doing muc= h but they have been ruled by GM and its short sighted vision for a long ti= me.

Electrical car can and are made cheap but at the moment sold with a lot of = profit and therefore too expensive but that will change too.

Reply to
gosinn

Electrical car can and are made cheap but at the moment sold with a lot of profit and therefore too expensive but that will change too.

**** Not so many are really sold now, in the USA, and even though the bloody Volt is not so cheap, I dont think GM makes significant money on it.

Like you, I believe that in the future the issues with electric cars can be solved.

But not yet.

Reply to
hls

Den l=F6rdagen den 31:e december 2011 kl. 19:06:10 UTC skrev hls:

It is a bit strange that USA is not picking up on this trend.

There are of course very good electrical cars made in the states but it see= ms to be a bit kept as a dark secret.

In Europe electrical cars are really picking up and in many countries in th= e east.

In many ways the USA is very conservative.

I remember when I was living in Dallas for many months that you hardly knew= anything going on outside Texas.

I have been in other states and many of them are pretty isolated from the r= est of the world.

The USA attacked Irak for no good reason some years ago and lost that war a= s so many other battles lately and came out with the tail behind the legs r= ecently.

The rest of the world has lost respect for the USA and the USA is becoming = indreasingly isolated.

The chinese run rings about the USA and holds much of its debt and can dict= ate what they do.

The Volt is not and never was an electrical car.

It was/is a joke at best.

Not in the USA it seems but in the rest of the world they are coming in str= ong.

Den l=F6rdagen den 31:e december 2011 kl. 19:06:10 UTC skrev hls:

Reply to
gosinn

The USA attacked Irak for no good reason some years ago and lost that war as so many other battles lately and came out with the tail behind the legs recently.

The rest of the world has lost respect for the USA and the USA is becoming indreasingly isolated.

********* I agree that the USA was ill advised to go into Iraq for the reasons the government gave. There were no remaining weapons of mass destruction. It is, however, also true that Saddam had plans to start this work again as soon as he could get the world's eyes off him.

Coming out with "the tail between the legs" might not be a good thing to say to a veteran of this conflict. It is indicative of the way Obama has tried to run the nation, but not true of the spirit of the global forces which were sent to Iraq. Until we get this leftist drittsekk out of office and find an intelligent leader, we will be in trouble.

Reply to
hls

The USA seems to be building up a new web of lies in order to attack Iran.

In this the USA is alone again and the reason for this new war is again oil= .

The USA has no consideration for other people nor nations if the aim is get= ting their hands on more oil.

The USA has effectively lost the war in Afghanistan, lost the war in Iraq a= nd is now planning to attack Iran.

Interestingly the USA is fighting a war against terrorism and who are the e= nemy?

I heard that the USA has passed a law that they can arrest pretty much anyo= ne in the USA and keep them in prison as long as they please without trial = or assistance from a lawyer if they just say that the person can be expecte= d to be a terrorist and the war has come to the USA.

This of course means that the USA has lost the war on terrorism and the ter= rorists have won with the assistance of the government of the USA.

Letting people go naked through the gates at the airports was and is a simi= larly ridiculous act.

Reply to
gosinn

For your OT rant you are sentenced to irrelevancy for life.

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

An understatement. We are brainwashed into thinking this is a world problem. It is a US-CAN-Euro Bank-Gov Debt and Currency corruption problem. Simle as that.

While USA spends money on GM bailouts, bank bailouts, general corruption like Solyndra/0bama the Chinese build the Yangtze dam for cheap electricity that will last for 100s or 1000s of years. While we spend on war to kill and blow things up, China builds rail, cheap cars, maglev fast trains....

Isn't just China, India, Australia, Chile, Brazil, Argentina and dozens of others have growing middle classes and growing economies.

Just more bullsh-t government corruption is what we get.

In the end, GM and other corrupt greedy are the ones that now have USA as bankrupt. USA can no longer pay its bills with real money. And the money print will in time make the USD currency worthless and USA a 3rd world country.

Reply to
Canuck57

Just like Germany pre-WW II. Germany too put the military expansion on the credit card then needed war/conquest to avoid an economic collapse. Even before that post WW I they had a monetary collapse.

Now, the war is under way with USA as the delinquent debtor/aggressor. Libya, Tunisia, Egypt, Syria, Iran, China, NK...take your pick.

USA debt-spends more on military than the other top 25 nations of the world, as if at war with the world. Yep, USA spends more on CIA/military than Russia, China, Iran, France, UK, Canada and 20 theres on killing, interference, western terrorism and interference in other countries affairs. USA is a bully.

US DC is focused on oil and the use of WW II style armament, but in fact USA is weak.

If China said USD no longer acceptable in trade, without a single shot USA is economical dead. The flood of people shedding USDs would devalue the US currency so muh so fast USA would almost shut down with 80% real unemployment as no one could afford anything.

USA is economically bankrupt and weak.

We will see USA continue to fail as the corruption and government greed and currency fraud still continue. It may very well be too late for USA to ever fix it and/or a Russian like 20 years to get it right.

Reply to
Canuck57
********** The USA is not the only country which believes that Iran is a dangerous rogue state, and which fears what Iran might do when it develops a serviceable nuclear warhead.

And these warheads are not too hard to make once you have the one key ingredient: enough high grade nuclear material to constitute a critical mass.

You dont refine nuclear fuel to high grade just for power generation. For that, you need only about 5% pure fissionable material. To make weapons grade material is massively expensive, and you wouldnt do it for any other reason than to make weapons. The intent is pretty clear, I think.

Reply to
hls

They have every right to do whatever they please, particularly including making nuclear weapons, and they would be smart to do so. If Americans don't want anyone to have such weapons, all I can say is, you first. Lead by example and don't be such ultra-hypocrites. The US wouldn't have attacked North Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Lebanon, Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya had they possessed nuclear weapons. The Persians aren't now and have never been idiots.

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

So you think that felons and terrorists have a right to any weapon they can obtain? That is essentially what you are saying.

I know a few Iranian people and they are fine, calm, people. But Iran is not ruled by the people....it is ruled by the ayatollahs and they let Ahmedinejad walk the dog occasionally. I think they ARE dangerous, and would prefer that they not have nuclear weapons.

You cant lead a mad dog by good example.

Reply to
hls

Hardly, Monsieur Simpleton. What I am instead clearly stating is that a soverign nation has not only a right but a duty to protect itself and its peoples from the ONLY proven and continued aggressor on the planet to have used a nuclear weapon in anger. It's surely no coincidence that that single point was the only one you attempted (and quite feebly) to address, and accordingly intentionally misrepresent

Oh yes, the obligatory (their name here) are good people, it is their government that's evil. You parrot propaganda well.

I don't care for fundamentalist religious sorts myself, but the evidence is absolutely conspicuous that the Muslims are the least of the religious hypocrites. Dr. Ahmadinejad is/was an academician, i.e., an engineering professor, but the casual American observer would never have occasion to be aware of that fact from reading the western press.

The U.S. has ALWAYS been aggressive toward and meddler in Iranian affairs, most recently when supplying weapons to and encouraging Saddam Hussein to attack its neighbor.

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

***So now you have descended to name calling.

******Yes, the USA used two nuclear devices "for the defense of their peoples" And who was the aggressor at Pearl Harbor, genius??
****** It isnt propaganda. I dont expect the Iranian people to want a US styled government, but I dont think that the most of them want the demonic government that they have. And I dont believe they have any way out, other than to rise up and take the government into their hands by force.
******* Why would we even care? He is not responsible for any current engineering projects that I have heard of, and in fact seems to be a short sighted hate monger.

No, not always. We did indeed meddle mht the Shah. And for that sort of interference, I feel ashamed. And after the US embassy was held hostage, the US shadow warriors DID supply weapons to Saddam Hussein, in retribution. Shit happens. Get over it.

Reply to
hls

Hardly. Japan had been reduced to military impotence, had no ability to any longer be a threat to anyone, and were more than ready to make peace (Russia had already joined the Allies against Japan). The US established nuclear protection as a defense againt Germany, a (wrongly) perceived technological colossus. The very moment the bomb was ready it was used against Japan in pure and sole vegence.

And who was the aggressor at Pearl Harbor, genius??

At Pearl Harbor, Japan. The prior precipitating action was an oil embargo against Japan, an act of war in anyones book. Do you know absolutely NOTHING of history?

No, that would be you. He's an acknowledged academician.

The retribution was Iran's act against the embassy personnel (who had arrogantly ignored lengthy warnings to leave) for America's intrusion into their affairs.

Direct that comment to those that meddle and attempt to both covertly and violently force others to act in a manner they deem appropriate, i.e. the Americans.

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

Den tisdagen den 3:e januari 2012 kl. 18:11:07 UTC skrev hls:

"Our leaders promise even more safety, asking only a bit more liberty in ex= change. Grant them the power to imprison us without charge, lawyer, or tria= l? President Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act into law o= n New Year=92s Eve while Americans celebrated, unaware that while they danc= ed and sang so much was being lost. Many Americans will wake today, perhaps= still in a stupor, to find that their country has been taken. After the ce= lebrations, Troy was no more; what once was America =97 defined by rights a= nd liberty =97 is no more.

In the name of protection, Troy destroyed itself and America is doing the s= ame. Under the guise of national security, we have created a far more dange= rous enemy within our gates. With the loss of civil liberty and the trampli= ng of the Bill of Rights, Americans are in greater danger than ever before.= We may now be arrested and detained indefinitely without any semblance of = due process, by our own military, in our own land."

Reply to
gosinn

Okay, Abdul. Have it your own way (you would anyhow, it seems). This thread is ended.

Reply to
hls

With the loss of civil liberty and the trampling of the Bill of Rights, Americans are in greater danger than ever before. We may now be arrested and detained indefinitely without any semblance of due process, by our own military, in our own land."

***** I totally agree with you. Obama sux. But Bush put this patriot act into vigor.

We are lost, with positions for two* candidates and no satisfactory people available. (*- a third party candidate would be welcome, but is very likely to be viable in the USA today)

We will just have to muddle through the best we can.

Reply to
hls