Help Needed: Minor Rust.

I've been told to sand, prime and paint my rust spots that at this point are minor.

Any other suggestions? I just need a way to stopthe spread and make it presentable until I get rid of the car in a few years.

Thanks.

Reply to
builderbos

If the rust is deep:

The only way to make it presentable and give it a few years longevity is to, use a spot sand blaster. To get the rust out all the way to the bottom of the pits, or use an abrasive wire wheel to do the same, and clean out the rust in the pits completely.

Grind the surrounding area, use a short stranded hair fiberglass filler to put on the first coat of filler, sand that smooth. Then finish off with successive coats of plastic body filler, primer and paint=int.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

yeah if its just surface rust, just sand it all off and prime the spot

Reply to
twins0203

I have an old Chevy and rust is always a problem. I discovered a product called RustDestroyer, which is a so called converter. They guarantee the product to stop rust for five years. I don't put much confidence in such warrantees. I tested the product in a few areas that I know were pitted through and the rust has not come back over a two year period now.

I'd be interested in hearing if Refinishing King would recommend such a converter as a primer. (PS>Those spray rust converters from the local hardware proved useless.)

Reply to
eddy eagle

Sand it off, use POR-15 on the spot, then prime and paint it...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Some of them work:

Some of them aren't worth the space they take on the shelf!

I use SEM Rust Mort (rust Mortician) it works great. But you have to have the stratified rust off first, like the flakes and the lumps.

Then grind and wire brush to get off the major rust, and use the product.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks for your and everyone else's response...

I initially had a longer post but the google server lost it, so, pissed off, I redid the brief post you see below.

The rust is on my cavalier, a '94, and in the notorious lower door sections. I've known of five other cavaliers that friends had that had the exact same problem.

Mine is only surface rust, I believe. A cousin, who's worked in a body shop but is just a kid, told me it's only on the surface and that I could stop the spread if I tackled it *now*.

So...I can handle the sanding myself (pretty sure anyway). Should I then just go to the local body place and ask for the appropriate primer and paint? And go one coat each?

I'm not familiar with the rust inhibitors you and others have mentioned, but am certainly interested.

Thanks.

Reply to
builderbos