I am looking for OFFICIAL confirmation the GM fixed the head gasket

Poor Mr. Hunter probably isn't even collecting a paycheck or other favors from GM for his endless boosterism. Certainly there are folks on the 'net who do so, but he strikes me as a freelancer who makes excuses for GM no matter what.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Mike's certainly the last of the great defenders of GM, but what he doesn't realize is that there are a lot of us out here like myself who really do like GM products, but we don't put blinders on with respect to their problems. Some of the GM issues are things that people like myself have elected to live with as just a part of the way things are - really no different than any other manufacturer. They all have their bug-a-boo's. Some of the things aren't so easy to just live with - at least to the point that even a steadfast GM advocate admits that they should rightfully have done something to correct an issue by now. The intake gasket issue falls into the later category in my opinion.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

New procedure uses new bolts w/gaskets and is a torque plus 30deg. as the new bolts are a stretch type to hold the manifold. '01 & 02' 3.1 in my little fleet.

Reply to
Repairman

GM has a TSB about the new design gaskets and the new bolts for it. The new gaskets have a different interior core and different fiber compound to hold them together when the head/intake moves around.

Technical Bulletin

8/03 Information is from best available sources and is accurate at the time of publication.

Engine Oil or Coolant Leak For 1996-2003 GM 3.1 & 3.4L VIN J & E Engines.

The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information regarding engine oil or coolant leaks for 1996-2003 GM 3.1 or 3.4L VIN J & E engines. The cause of this problem is related to a void in the intake manifold seal.

GM has designed a new intake manifold gasket (Part #89017279) to help resolve the above-mentioned condition. The material used in the revised gasket has been changed in order to improve the sealing qualities of the gasket. When replacing the gasket, the intake manifold attaching bolts must also be renewed. These revised bolts have a pre-applied thread locking compound. These bolts are available with Part #11588915 for the shorter bolt and Part #11588914 for the longer bolt. Before the installation of the intake, clean all intake manifold and block surfaces of any debris and oils.

NOTICE: An oil leak may result if the vertical bolts are not tightened before the diagonal bolts. Diagonal bolts may require a crows foot tool to tighten.

  1. Tighten the vertical lower intake manifold bolts to 62 in/lbs. (7 N-m).
  2. Tighten the diagonal lower intake manifold bolts to 62 in/lbs. (7 N-m).
  3. Tighten the vertical lower intake manifold bolts to 115 in/lbs. (13 N-m).
  4. Tighten the diagonal lower intake manifold bolts to 18 ft/lbs. (25 N-m).
Reply to
Steve W.

I completely agree. GM had more than enough time to redesign a better solution. It is almost as if they WANTED the design to remain crappy. Maybe they realized, even if quite by accident, that the failures were in large part happening after warranty and thus were providing some great repair revenue. Yes, that is a conspiracy theory, not a conspiracy fact. But you have to wonder why such a quality problem would be allowed to persist.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Agreed Mike. But one must concede that those gasket problems are a fairly serious issue, or at least can quickly lead to very serious issues.

Fortunately, my GM eng>

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I think I have read that the after market gasket maker, Felpro, has a gasket which is rock solid for this application. Anyone else know about that?

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I agree, that's why I say that they fall into the category that GM should have done something about and that even a good old GM bigot like myself can't whitewash.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I've heard the same thing but I've not used them yet. I didn't hear about Felpro until recently and I've always used OEM gaskets up until now. I hadn't heard about the torqing and new bolt thing either, so this has actually been a pretty good thread for shedding some information. I know the local Chevy dealer has been re-using the bolts right up until very recently, so mabye this is a new TSB.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Actually the manufacture specs the product it asks the gasket maker to provide. The gasket maker designed the gasket to meet those specs, but the product did not hold up over time. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I'm not defending anybody, I am simply presenting the proper facts concerning gasket failures that happen to most every manufacture, not only GM.

If could have been worse had the gasket manufacture prevailed. The gasket manufactures argued in court that any engine damaged by a leaking head gasket was 'owner neglect!' The head gasket did not fail catastrophically, but over time. As the material inside began to shrink the metal cover was consumed by the combustion process and the gasket would begin to weep coolant into the engine. Any owner who provided the proper preventive maintenance SHOULD have noticed the coolant loss and had the vehicle inspected for the cause.. If they had done so the casket could have been replaced long before there was damage to the engine. They were willing to cover the cost of gasket replacement but not any resulting engine failure caused by coolant contamination of the oil. The out of court settlement place 80% of the cost on the gasket manufactures and their insurance companies and 20% on the engine manufactures. Each manufacture provide warranty extension, based on which gasket using which material in place of asbestos, for a specific time and or milage.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I guess GM should have gone to the same gasket outsourcer that Ford did, and Chrysler, and Honda, and Toyota, and... and... and. Continuing to repeat this irrelevant point does nothing to make it relevant Mike.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Perhaps initially but no other manufacturer has the problems to the degree that GM does Mike. If they do, they are not getting the publicity that GM is and that's just not likely.

catastrophically,

Warranty extension? Where are you getting this from Mike? GM has not announced any warranty extensions and has not covered the cost of any of my gasket replacements.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I guess they don't like you, but hey I don't wonder why, look at how often you bad mouth them in this NG. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yes, FelPro has a line of problem solver gaskets, coverage is

5.0/5.7 Chevy V-8s, 3.1/3.4 Chevy V-6s and the 4.3 Chevy V-6. (no 3800 as of yet AFAIK)

The gasket uses a steel backbone instead of the OEM design plastic, the steel backbone is covered with coolant/oil resistant rubber instead of the OEM style rubber inserts. They're pricey compared to the OEM style stuff, the gaskets are sold in a set which typically contains:

2 manifold gaskets Upper plenum O-ring style gasket Throttle body gasket 1 valve cover gasket Fuel fitting O-rings Distributor base gasket 1 small tube of black RTV

So far, no come backs.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I resemble that remark! And thanks much for all the info!

Larry A. (and his leak>Thank you much for that info. No telling when that might just come in

Reply to
Larry A.

We've had these in the dealership for a few months now. Not the Felpro gaskets, (though, no doubt they are identical), but GM has released this style of gasket. Nothing yet for the 3.1/3/4 engines tho....other then their last update.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

The new procedure does not include any torque/turn procedure. There are revised torque specs, but 30 degrees isn't one of them.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Long time no see, Ian :)