2002 grand am

2002 Grand Am with 45000 kms., head gasket went and GM fixed as a good will measure. Is there a problem with these cars and does GM have ANOTHER secret fix for premature head gasket failures. Eric
Reply to
<ewazny

What engine? Have you searched google at all?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Eric

Reply to
<ewazny

You ask if there is a problem with these cars, but you don't think it matters which engine you're talking about? You don't think there's any value in a quick google search to see if there is a history of problems like yours, but instead you post the question here and then quip at a response.

Ok - the answer to your question is no.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Kudos, Mike.

Reply to
<HLS

Reply to
<ewazny

I guess you're saying you have no idea how to google or what size engine is in your car.

Reply to
Kevin

I think Mike already gave you an answer.

GM has had a lot of problems with several of their engines, and the problems are different. But if you are outside the warranty period, it is unlikely that they will repair your car for free. Call them and find out.

Reply to
<HLS

Here's a piece of advise for you. Don't piss of the regular's in a newsgroup. The people here are more then willing to take the time to answer your questions, but you have to make an ass of yourself instead. Posting what engine you have is a *requirement*, regardless of the question. Good luck with your Grand Am. If you would like to act like an adult, you are welcome to come back. If not, don't bother.

Reply to
80 Knight

Reply to
<ewazny

Reply to
<ewazny

80 Knight was right on the mark, and tried to tell you in a decent way that your attitude sucks.

GM has not been quick to grant repairs out of warranty in a lot of their situations.

If you got yours done for free, consider yourself lucky.

Reply to
<HLS

wrote

Which engine do you have? It will make a difference as to what answer I can give to you!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

You don't seem to get it. You asked a question. In order to answer that question, we wanted to know the engine. Instead of just giving us the engine size, you decided to insult the people trying to help you. Next time, just answer the question's asked of you. This is cyberspace. We can't just walk outside and look at your car. We need to know certain things, and the most basic are the make, model, and engine. It was a simple question.

Reply to
80 Knight

The normal usenet protocol is to lurk for a bit and get the hang of how things work.

There is no such thing as a "secret warranty." OEMs from time to time do make special policy considerations. Bear in mind, when they do that, the person who actually performs the repair work is getting a bit of a screwing. He may also be here answering questions anyway.

But your circumstances may not be the same as someone else's circumstances.

So, were you asking, or telling?

Not really. Not mind readers either.

Well, there are. Usenet etiquette. DAGS

If no one knew which engine you were inquiring about, it's perfectly acceptable for them to ask.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
<ewazny

Just to answer a few of your questions.

The basic Usenet rules are to respect others, and on car newsgroups (such as a GM one), always include the make (such as Pontiac), model (such as Grand Am), engine (such as 3.4) and km's (or miles). It just helps the people here to narrow down an answer for your question.

Do A Google Search. I will explain Google in a minute.

If you go and look under the hood, the type of engine should be right on the top. with 175 hp in a Grand Am, I would assume you have the GT version, with the 3.4L V6.

Google isn't a person, or a thing. It is a Search Engine.

Think of the Internet as a library. Now, you can't just walk into a library looking for a book on the Titanic, and stumble onto it. You have to have something or someone to tell you where to find the book. You type in a topic (such as "Grand Am Head Gasket") in Google, and it will list all the websites that have relevant information.

No. Usenet is not sponserd by anyone. It has been around for *many* years.

Not at all. It's just when you ask a question, and someone needs more information (such as the engine in the vehicle), don't snap back at them. Just answer the question the best way you can. If you still don't know, ask them how to find out. They will tell you.

A "Regular" is someone who frequents Usenet. Someone who is always answering questions, and even asking some themselves. A regular is known, and respected. If you stay here long enough, you will see who to respect and trust, and who to avoid.

You can't learn anything without asking questions. But, for the future, if someone asks you the engine size, or whatnot, just give them the answer. A lot of people on these groups are mechanics, and to you the engine size may seem non-important, but they know what they are doing, and they don't just ask questions for the hell of it.

A Goodwill gesture, usually means your car was out of the standard warranty period, but was low enough on either miles, years, or both, so GM decided to repair it anyhow. As for OEM, that stands for Original Equipment Manufacture. If you go buy a CD player from WalMart, it is Aftermarket (meaning it isn't something made by the same company as the car itself). If you go to a GM dealership and buy a CD player, it is OEM, becuase the same people who made your car, also made that CD player.

Hopefully I have cleared up some of your questions. Others will also come in and correct me where I was wrong, but please do not hesitate to ask more questions. Everyone has to start off at some time.

Reply to
80 Knight

DAGS= [D]o [A] [G]oogle [S]earch Google is a common internet search engine.

The engine size in liters is shown on the emissions label under the hood, the eighth digit of the Vehicle Identification Number can also be deciphered to reveal which engine you have.

Anything you want to know, like what to do and what not to do when posting to usenet.

Terms invented by the news media. Still want to believe?

No. No entity runs or sponsors this news group.

No, not in the least. But you are expected to do a minimum to assist us when posing a question. We can't see your car from here.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

And a butcher, a baker and a candlestick maker.

Certainly

Even though our advice is worth millions of dollars, there is no fee. Most of us will gladly accept donations. You aren't filthy rich by chance, are ya?

That's okay, this is my first shot at March 9, 2007 ;-)

Indeed, not because of a secret warranty.

OEM = [O]riginal [E]quipment [M]anufacturer. The company that built your car.

Lots of use of acronyms when posting online, DAGS and you'll learn most of them.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

wrote

Ok....it would have been easier to just know which engine you have, but I'm going to take a guess that you have the

3.4 engine. Yes, there are problems with head gaskets, no, there are no hidden warranties on these head gaskets. What you refer to as "secret or hidden" warranties are actually called "special policies".

You got good will....that's a good thing.

Oh, ok! I work at a GM dealership and as such, I'm in a fairly good position to know the answers to questions like this. GM can't "get me" if I give out correct information, so you don't have to worrry about that.

There are "secret fixes", but those have more to do with us charging you more hours then what it actually takes to do the repair. That's a big secret tho....so don't tell anyone!

No.....but I think some guy named Al Gore invented it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

ROTFLMAO!