Is synthetic oil any good for a early 60's Chevy?

I was told I should to drop the 10w-30 and use a synthetic oil in my 63 impala with a 283. Is this a good idea? TIA Greg

Reply to
Greg

Well Greg it's not a good or bad idea that really is in question here. Synthetic motor oil definitely won't hurt the 283 (a great motor by the way) but whether you can say that you would benefit from it depends on how the vehicle is treated. In my opinion synthetic oils are best at protecting motors that are run hard, run hot and are of a very high performance nature.

In other words the synthetics are good at protecting severely used engines. How ever even if you don't use the engine this way and just want a higher level of protection I would use them. In fact I do use Mobile 1 in all my vehicles as I want that extra level of protection.

As far as the motor oil weight I might suggest 10w40 for the 283 Chevy. The engine tolerances weren't as tight as today's motors are.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

I don't think Mobil 1 has a 10W40. They have 0W40, 10W30 and of course

5W30. Any of them are good. 0W40 is probably hard to find and I might think more expensive. If you are not in a really cold climate it would not be necessary.

Many would worry about the low cold weather rating (0W) but I don't see any problem with it. WHen it is cold it is still heavier than it is when it gets to operating temperature. Unless someone can convince me otherwise I see no problem using such an oil in hot climates.

One big advantage of using a synthetic is that they do not need to use Viscosity Improvers to get the multi-weight.

Reply to
HRL

======== I was in WalMart in Hinsdale NH the other day, and to my surprise, in the oil department, was Mobil 1 0W40 and it was the same price as all the other viscosities of Mobil 1.

Reply to
R. Makul

0W40 is made for European vehicles that use 40 weight but would most likely be perfect for use in the 60's chevy.

Mobil 1 comes in 0W30 as well and is a good alternative to 5W30 because the viscosity is still the same at operating temperature.

HRL