P0420 Catalyst Efficiency below Threshold Bank 1

This is the code I am getting on a 2000 Camaro SS with only 15,000 miles.
Seems to drive fine, I have only use premium fuel in it.
Should I just reset it or take it to the shop? Is this harmful to my car?
If I take it in ... what should I tell them so they don't soak me ?
Thanks in advance.
Reply to
buzzsaw
In fact GM Factory warrantee is 8/80 on cats not 7/70 Re: P0420 Catalyst Efficiency below Threshold Bank 1 Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Fri, May 27, 2005, 7:29am (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@capital.net (Shep) If in fact the cat checks bad it is still under factory warrantee, 7/70.
This is the code I am getting on a 2000 Camaro SS with only 15,000 miles. Seems to drive fine, I have only use premium fuel in it. Should I just reset it or take it to the shop? Is this harmful to my car? If I take it in ... what should I tell them so they don't soak me ? Thanks in advance.
Reply to
Steve Cook
Depends on whether it's California or Federal.
> In fact GM Factory warrantee is 8/80 on cats not 7/70 > Re: P0420 Catalyst Efficiency below Threshold Bank 1 > > Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Fri, May 27, 2005, 7:29am (CDT+1) From: > snipped-for-privacy@capital.net (Shep) > If in fact the cat checks bad it is still under factory warrantee, 7/70.
> This is the code I am getting on a 2000 Camaro SS with only 15,000 > miles. > Seems to drive fine, I have only use premium fuel in it. > Should I just reset it or take it to the shop? Is this harmful to my > car? > If I take it in ... what should I tell them so they don't soak me ? > Thanks in advance. >
Reply to
Shep
Hi, I have just been diagnosed with a faulty cat on my 2003 astro van. My 60,000 warranty is up so I though I would go to my regular guys to take care of it. They sent me to the dealer after calling them to verify and the warranty here in Ontario Canada is 130,000 miles on the vehicle. Presently its being fixed at the GM dealer no charge. I have 108,000 km.
Reply to
Lanze
Just to verify its 130,000 warranty on the Cat converter for this vehicle. Costs was pegged at $1,100 Canadian dollars to replace. WTF $$$..........thankyou GM, I'm surprised to say the least.
Reply to
Lanze
Cat is mandated by EPA in US and probably some government agency in Canada and has nothing to do with the manufacturer. It is too bad so many people don't read their warranty before having work done. I have seen a lot of posts where people have paid to have the cat replaced when it would have been replaced under warranty. Also a lot still had the P0420 because it can also be caused by other things such as a bad O2 sensor and problems with the EGR.....
Reply to
Woody
Good point Woody, tricky diagnosis p0420, as you said cat is not always the problem ,seen this quite a few times in my shop.
Reply to
Shep
This is True.....But are you sure its 130,000 miles and not 130,000 km which if you do the math it comes out to around 80,000 miles.. Also funny how people jump quickly to blame he manufacture for things they cant control..... S Cook Re: P0420 Catalyst Efficiency below Threshold Bank 1 Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Fri, May 27, 2005, 10:24pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@pond.net (Woody) Cat is mandated by EPA in US and probably some government agency in Canada and has nothing to do with the manufacturer. It is too bad so many people don't read their warranty before having work done. I have seen a lot of posts where people have paid to have the cat replaced when it would have been replaced under warranty. Also a lot still had the P0420 because it can also be caused by other things such as a bad O2 sensor and problems with the EGR.....
Just to verify its 130,000 warranty on the Cat converter for this vehicle. Costs was pegged at $1,100 Canadian dollars to replace. WTF $$$..........thankyou GM, I'm surprised to say the least.
In fact GM Factory warrantee is 8/80 on cats not 7/70 Hi, I have just been diagnosed with a faulty cat on my 2003 astro van. My 60,000 warranty is up so I though I would go to my regular guys to take care of it. They sent me to the dealer after calling them to verify and the warranty here in Ontario Canada is 130,000 miles on the vehicle. Presently its being fixed at the GM dealer no charge. I have 108,000 km.
Reply to
Steve Cook
I went to Autozone and reset the code. It has not come back on today with about 10 miles of use.
I keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks for the help !
Reply to
buzzsaw