Pontiac G6 rental vehicle

I recently put 1500 miles on a G6 rental car. Flew into Newark, NJ and drove all over NY, NJ, PA, etc. I'm 5'7", 170 lbs. Ordinary build.

The 3500 engine had plenty of power. Mileage was quite good at 25.8 mpg during hard mountain and intense city driving. Mileage on the open road was 30.6 mpg. My rental did not have the tiptronic shifter like a Malibu Maxx. I really missed the thumb shifting in the mountains and in the city. I don't know if the tiptronic is offered in that vehicle or not. It needs to have it.

The rear end is somewhat light and has a tendency to drift out when making hairpin turns going down a switchback. Handling was pretty good although the Malibu Maxx's that I have rented handled better than the G6. The factory stereo was very nice. I think the rear shelf speakers had a lot to do with that. No reason to put in a better radio. The trunk was small and useful for only one or two small suitcases. I have a medium size drag-along canvas suitcase and it just barely fit into the trunk opening. The large bags that are typically seen at the airport will NOT fit into a G6.

The outside temperature was 70-85 F and the power seat and power pedal enabled me to hang my arm out the window, although not as easily as my old 92 Grand Am. Overall driving comfort was very good.

A few minor annoyances: The gauges are hard to see when it is light out. The led for the cruise control is blinding at night. Turning the auto headlights to manual makes the headlights go on ok but does not turn on the dash lights! What kind of idiot thought that up? Auto headlights won't go on during twilight - can't see the gauges at all. I had to cover up the sensor to see the gauges at that time of morning/evening. The headlights are useless for lighting up the road at night. The round shift knob should be long left to right instead of round. Its impossible to see the front or rear of the car from inside. The center armrest needs to be higher. It is made either for chimps or people with short torsos and very long arms. Makes me wonder what kind of people do the designers use for models? The front door opens way too wide. An open door cannot be easily reached from inside the car - except maybe by chimps and people with short torsos and very long arms. Most of those items can be fixed though.

Would I buy one? NO, because the trunk is unusable and the headlights are useless. It would be a good car for soccer moms to drive during the daytime. The Pontiac Grand Am was a better car than the G6.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I'm 5'7" & 170lbs. Ordinary build

**** Ooo you sound hannndsome!

I have a medium size drag-along canvas suitcase and it just barely fit into the trunk opening.

**** So that was your BIG bag in my overhead compartment when I flew to Cali in May!

The power seat and power pedal enabled me to hang my arm out the window....

**** YES !!!!! I though this would of been your first critique.

The front doors open way too wide.

**** Perhaps the wind caught them one day and sprung them back? Happened to my Park Avenue last year. Now the driver door opens 2-3 inches more and its really a reach to close it if you open it all the way. No assist strap on the door panel, just the fingertip cup pulls in the side armrest.

The center armrest needs to be higher.It is either made for chimps or people with short torsos or very long arms.

**** , Or little gurls. Lower the driver seat - but then you sacrifice not being able to hang the arm out the winder.

**** The dash lights only coming on during auto headlight operation sounds like a stupid idea. Headlight brightness on my Park Avenue is bad on the high beam setting - sometimes I'll hold the turnsignal stalk from clicking onto high, this way all four lights will remain ON. Got to figure out a way to keep all four to stay on when I want them to.

I passed under a railroad underpass yesterday follwing a late 90's Ford Windstar van. We were in a shaded spot for no more than 15 feet and his auto lights & tail lights came on - but mine didn't - Thank god. Damn engineers!

I wouldn't buy a G 6 either. I'd like to be able to see the hood of a vehicle when I'm driving. The high set wipers on my Park Avenue block out most of the hood view. A small trunk is a big turn off to me as well. Got to have room.

How was vision on the outside mirrors?

You need to rent a Mustang sometime.

Thanks for the report.

harryface

05 Park Avenue 44,234 91 Bonneville 307,099
Reply to
Harry Face

Outside mirror vision was poor. I almost wrecked several times because of that. The mirrors taper to a point and don't offer much viewing area. They need to be the same size all the way out and not triangular shaped.

Yeah. I reserved one at Budget in Newark. You know how that works - first come, first serve. I called every evening to the Budget Newark office to remind them to save me one. When I got there they had several but they told me that Mustangs are not allowed outside of New Jersey. I then wanted a Malibu but same thing - NJ only. They gave me a G6 with PA plates that looked like it had been in the New Orleans flood. No rental company at the airport had Mustangs for out of state drop off.

I've got to go to Dallas again in a week or two. Perhaps I can get a Mustang. It is on my list for possible purchase. That and an Accord or another Grand AM.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Paulie wrote : Outside mirror vision was poor.

That's the one problem with the mirrors on the Bonneville, they taper down as they get further out. Now the SSE mirror's of the 87-91 vintage were more squared off on the ends than the LE / SE models.

If there was a chance of finding a pair of SSE Mirrors in the junkyard I would of bought them years ago but they are also powered & have that blue tint glass on them.

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

I looked at it and reached the same function conclusions as you, plus it won't hold a full sized spare. I disappointed the salesman by not even taking a test drive; what's the point.

Not good enough for soccer mum's IMO, a Honda Element or Chrysler Caliber would be a much better choice.

Reply to
Just Facts