Pontiac G6 "door ajar" chime problem

A lady I know has an '08 Pontiac G6 (don't know what trim level).

This thing has had repeated and maddening problems with the "door ajar" chime sounding off when the doors were clearly fully-shut.

First it was the driver's door setting off the chime. Then the driver's door wouldn't close at all. Dealer replaces latch. All fixed.

Next the front passenger door started sounding the chime. Dealer replaces latch. Fixed.

Now it's one of the rear passenger doors that won't close. Trip to dealer is booked.

This has all happened in the past year.

The car is 50 miles away from me, so a personal inspection isn't possible at the moment.

Owner is now wondering if this is something she needs to be concerned about once the warranty is up.

I'm going to buy a 3-day subscription to GM Tech Info starting tomorrow, so I can study the EWDs and such, but I thought I'd check here in case somebody has any personal experience with this issue. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Tegger

"Tegger" wrote

I'd be concerned. I don't know if the new GM is any better than the old GM, but they would have told her the same thing they told me with a questionable problem, Buy a new car. They did offer a slight discount, but still would have been a $33,000 solution to a $100 problem.

She should keep documentation of the problems. After the dealer visit, it would be a good idea to send a letter to GM customer service or zone office voicing concern over a problem that seems to repeat.

I wonder took if it is really the latch or if it is a problem with the computer. Nothing happens in cars today without going through the computer for a command to power a light etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:qJSdnTFtHN8pf_DRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's what I'm wondering, too. I find it kind of odd that three out of four latches would go "bad" in the space of a year. In addition, the dealer is telling the owner that - guess what - she's the ONLY one with this problem. When I hear that line, I sense either ignorance or coverup.

Reply to
Tegger

The OP says: "the driver's door wouldn't close at all." which says to me there was a mechanical flaw in the latch...

But I agree, something really odd here.

Reply to
PeterD

The first thing an owner should do, when they discover a problem has not been corrected by a dealership is return the car to the dealership. After three attempts that do not fix the problem there are guarantees in the warranty that address that situation. The first is arbitration by the manufacture. If the problem can not be corrected the federal and state lemon laws come into play.

Reply to
Mike

In this case though, it is three different doors, thus, three different problems. Unless it can be shown that something else is the cuase, the lemon laws would not apply yet.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I dunno about door latches, but pretty much every late model Impala in the company fleet has had the driver's side rear door *lock* stop working. Pretty annoying, because that's probably the most used door besides the driver's door.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Bought my 3-day GM Tech Info subscription. It's active until about 6:00pm Sunday. Lotsa cool stuff, but at twice the price of Honda's Techinfo site ($20 versus $10).

It looks to me like the issue is probably just simple corrosion (common in the North-east). It's a similar problem to what Ford had years ago with the Explorer.

As I said, the car is 50-miles away, so all I can do is make suggestions and have them be ignored. Why the heck do I waste my time and money on this shit? I must be stupider than I thought I was.

Reply to
Tegger

"Tegger" wrote

It is free for Hyundai.

Given the age of the car and recent weather, if it is corrosion it is due to a poor design. Perhaps it can be protected better than the GM design somehow.

You said it was a "lady I know". Explains it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Check into Alldata. One yr 'script is $25 and is basically a copy of the factory manual. Taurus's have a switch in the door latch sticking problem due to lubrication that's a known for years.

Reply to
Repairman

Z snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'd just bypass the door ajar switch. We got by for quite a few years without them.

Reply to
anniejrs

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9DDA43BE916C4tegger@208.90.168.18:

Meaningless phrase that's quite possibly the most commonly used one by all telephone support people and salesmen worldwide. It's true meaning is now lost to history, but roughly translates to: "I know the answer, but my boss told me not to tell anyone that we have severe problems".

Reply to
chuckcar

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@x20g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

That would work, except for the part where the door won't close at all.

My investigations -- which include many downloads from GM's Tech Info site

-- have led me to the conclusion that simple corrosion is the issue here, similar to what Ford had, years ago, with the Explorer's latches.

I've advised the owner to have the latches sprayed liberally with (an apparently Canada-only concoction called) "Krown T-40".

If I get an update to this matter , I'll pass it on here to complete the thread. If not, I can't and therefore won't.

Reply to
Tegger