Problem with trans fluid level

We bought a 97 Chevy 1500 with an auto trans. It is almost impossible to tell the trans fluid level. There are so many bubbles in the fluid you just do not get a clear reading on the dip stick. I measured it hot with the engine running. Any thoughts about how to get a clear level reading?

Reply to
jplasater

The tranny fluid is probably low. Check the level after the vehicle has been sitting long enough for the bubbles to go away. If it's low, add some. When the tranny is cold the fluid should still register on the dip stick just fine. Be sure that when rechecking the tranny is warmed up, the vehicle is on a flat/level surface, and you run the shift lever through all the gears (PRND21). Other than that, follow the instructions in your manual.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Last week when I got the truck the trans fluid level appeared to be about 2 inches above the full mark. It had a lot of bubbles in it then. I syphoned over a pint and got it down to slightly above the full mark. However, it still had bubbles and was difficult to read. I had my wife take it to a dealer and have it checked. At first, he thought I had syphoned too much. After checking it 3-4 times he concluded it was probably ok. However, it still has bubbles. Are you saying that the bubbles are significant that it is low and will cause the level to be inaccurate? Thanks for the response. Any further advice will be appreciated.

Reply to
jplasater

I have a '95 with the same tranny, a 4L60E automatic. When cold, and the engine NOT running, the level is 2 3/4 inches above the full (HOT) mark. Remember, this is in the morning, level ground, and engine not running. From your post, it seems like it was overfilled if in fact it was 2 inches above full when running. This will definitely cause foaming in the tranny.......

Reply to
noyap

jplasater,

The trans. is over-filled. Foam will cause cavitation in the pump and dammage it. Drain some of the fluid out now, and bring it to the correct level.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude

I drained off a full pint and 1/3. It came back to the right level and, in time, the foam went away.

Reply to
jplasater