Question on solevent cleaners

I have some 99% alcohol from a drugstore (this is not rubbing alcohol, which has moisturizers added.) Would it be good for cleaning gunked-up PCV valves and the like? Or should I use a petroleum product such as diesel fuel? Is WD-40 any good for this kind of thing?

P.S., I know it's better to buy new PCV valves because they're usually cheap, but sometimes that just isn't an option.

Reply to
Adam Corolla

Just use some kerosene, or paint thinner, or even gasoline. Ugh-oh, there's going to be a big hoopala over suggesting using gasoline as a solvent...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Alcohol is not really a petroleum solvent. Neither is diesel or wd-40. To remove pcv gunk you really need to use a good petroleum solvent: toluene, xylene, mek, acetone, benzene, ethyl-benzene, or gasoline. Or you could just buy a can of carb cleaner spray.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Best thing I have ever used is Brake-Clean

Reply to
cabopeter

Carbon tet?

Reply to
Adam Corolla

Sweet, I actually have acetone on hand! It's good for removing dried super-glue as well.

Reply to
Adam Corolla