Question about solvent cleaners

I have some 99% alcohol I got from a drugstore (not rubbing alcohol, which has additives such as moisturizers) and I was wondering if it would work to clean gunked-up parts like PCV valves and such.

If not, would diesel fuel work? Or how about WD-40?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

PCV valves are pretty inexpensive, probably about the same as getting the stuff to clean them out so it is probably cheaper and easier to just replace the PCV valve.

I've heard good things about MotorVac service that some service facilities perform.

You can also try using engine cleaners that you add to your oil just before you change the oil.

Reply to
Ray O

Thank you.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

Varsol or mineral spirits is prefered (non-green solution) - i would nto bother cleaning a PVC valve though. Buy a new one.

Reply to
Wolfgang

My oil pressure in my 5 year old 185,000 mile 1980 Corolla SR-5 dropped about 1/3 after 'cleaning' it with Marvel Mystery Flush! I wouldn't recommend ANY of these 'engine cleaners', myself. Just change the oil every

3-3,500 miles. Of course, I promptly put another 50,-60,000 miles on that Corolla before trading it for the Hachiroku!
Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm pretty sure Ray wasn't suggesting I add one of those engine cleaners to my engine oil. My original question was about what to use to clean gunked-up parts, and he suggested that stuff as an option.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

I agree that it's better to buy a new PCV valve, but sometimes that isn't an option.

On a totally unrelated note, I wonder if my PCV valve is made of PVC?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Here's a handy guide to chemical compatibility of several materials:

It says neither PVC nor CPVC fare well against unleaded gasoline. I'm guessing PCV valves are made of nylon (excellent against gasolines and motor oil) or polyester (not listed).

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

My bad. I thought he was suggesting an Engine Flush...

Reply to
Hachiroku

If the engine is 90% toast, then I'd suggest an engine flush as a last-ditch effort.

Reply to
Ray O

If the engine was 90% toast, I'd recommend some butter or low-cholesterol spread.

;-)

Reply to
Ernie Sty

LOL! Good one! I had that coming ;-)