Question to chevy venture owners? Are they really that bad?

I wanted to ask how you gm mini van owners how have you liked/not liked your vans. I have a 01 honda odyssey in shop right now on its 3rd tranny at 53k miles. Before this I had a toyota sienna that was a POS! I have not had good luck with the so called highly rated over priced japanese vehicles. I wonder how much honda and toyota pay CR to rate there cars so high every year. According to CR the chevy (or any American car) is not that good. I have a friend that owned 3 ventures that went well over

125k with no major problems, my pastor has one with over a 100k and likes it so good that is fixing to get another one. I have only met a very few folks who were not happy with theirs. Just wanted to get differntent views. What really ticks me off is when I bought the honda I could have got a ext. venture for the same price at 0% interest for 5 years that made 99 dollars diffenence in my payment per month. But no I thought the honda was the best ! Yeah right!

Danny

Reply to
SED-93

Danny, We have 2004 Venture and Love it, absolutely no problems, runs great, has all the toys we need, gets decent gas mileage.

Dale

Reply to
Dale Peterson

wrote

You will hear a lot of horror stories about intake manifold gaskets on the 3.4 in the Venture vans. And they are correct, but with a bit of planning and preventative maintenance and repairs...that's about the only big ticket item that seems to go on these vans. We do lot's of the intake gasket repairs, and some head gasket failures, but other then that, they seem to be fairly reliable. Both of the above issues could be dealt with easily. Either by watching for the signs and fixing it before it develops into something major, or by buying a good extended warranty to cover the problems when they do fail.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

The only significant problem we had your our '02 Olds Silhouette (essentially a high-trim version of the Venture) is that the intake manifold gasket developed a leak and needed to be replaced.

It seems like just about every Honda Ody. out there is going to need one or more replacement transmissions due to design flaws. Our friends '01 Honda Ody. is in the shop for it's first transmission at 48,000 miles. They care for the vehicle very well and there is no reason it should have had an early tranny failure other than a design problem.

Honda just recalled 600,000! newer model Odysseys and Pilots for transmission "repairs".

John

Reply to
John Horner

Be wary of "Piston Slap".. Mine has it bad and I'm going through the motions of making GM do something about it. Check out

for more info. Other than that, nice vehicle.

Steve

Reply to
Me

Me, Try thinking about it this way, greater clearance at the piston skirt creates less drag and less fuel consumption, more available power................... ;)

Dale P............ Former GM Service Rep...

Reply to
Dale Peterson