92 Surburban SLE with 230k for $2500. Is this a risky deal?

Hello. I wanted to ask you folks who own or have owned a suburban how many miles you got before major repairs started. I am looking at a very high mileage 92 but seems to run and ride very good for the mles. I need it for a work vehicle ( to tow my trailor with 2 ZTR) every day to customers properties. I have never bought a vehicle with over a 100 k much less 230 k. Is this a good deal or one to pass on. I am now using my 92 nissan with a V6 to pull it with and it has to have the 93 octane to tow it and it is taking all the truck can do to tow it.

Danny

Reply to
Dad-x-2

That's a really low price for a '92 but maybe it's because of the mileage. I have a '90 and it only has 182,200 miles on it but my neighbor has a '75 with in excess of 300,000 miles on it nd he uses it every day for his business (he's an electrical contractor). My truck was a surveyors truk before I bought it and it was used hard.

Yesterday I had the air conditioning repaired (compressor) and converted on my '90 but beyond that, no major repairs have been done on it. I think that if the vehicle has been maintained properly, it'll last a long time. It's my nderstandin that he trucks made from '95 to 2000 can have some problems but I have no first-hand knowledge about that. What you should do is go into alt.chevy.trucks or alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks and ask the same question. There are some very knowledgeable people in those two groups.

Rich B

Major repair wise, at that milage you want to check these items:

  1. Frame rust.
  2. Radiator pressure test. Check of cracked side tranks or damged core.
  3. Brakes. Make sure they are in good shape, and everything works.
  4. Springs. Make sure the rear springs are not worn out. If so you may need to replace the spring packs.
  5. Steering linkage. Check for play, idler arms worn, tie rod ends worn.

Suburbans are Excellent tow vehicals. We have a 85 at my shop that we use to tow cars. The trailer alone is 2,100. Went across the scales yesterday at 10,180 with 3 people in the truck, and the trailer empty. That old suburban probably has around 200K on it.

I also own 2 high milage Chevy Pick Ups. My 84 C-10 with over 300,xxx on the orginal drive line. Plus the 1990 2500 (6 lug) that I bought the other week for $500. It's an old company truck, and has almost no brakes. Yet the 350 (5.7L) TBI engine purrs and runs like a 50K engine. Regaurdless of the fact the truck has 221,xxx miles.

If GM trucks are mantianced, 200K & 300K miles are nothing to be afraid of. You just have to check from time to time for parts wearing out. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
sidewinder