Re: 04 Impala SS Commercial On TV last night.......

:-) He probably knew and endjoyed the challenge to gear the rear end. You'd have to gear a 409" (all else being equal) higher (e.g. 3.73) to boost the torque higher into the mid-rpm range. A 409" needed no off-the-line help .. . it tended to flag toward the top end, exactly where a Hemi would just keep going and going with its better breathing (especially if the ports were polished and the headers balanced). Funny, I remember very, very few hemi Mopars around here for some inexplicable reason .. . it was all (by '64) Ford 427" vs Chevy 427". I believe the Fords had the edge at that time, Chevy having just dropped out of racing .. .

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2194.public.lawson.webtv.net...

Well hell, I 'wondered' if chevy was bringing back the old 409. This is > very deceptive advertising, especially to those of us who use to race > back in those days! But with Dodge bringing back the Hemi...I > wondered....... > > Some folks who ran those 409s could 'tune' them up pretty-good, but my > Hemi was never beaten by one.....had some great races though and I > always respected them. I remember this one ol-boy had a Red Impala > coupe with a factory-badass 409. It was a beautiful car, probably worth > a massive amount of money today, if it were still alive. We had a lot > of 'match' races....he became very frustrated trying to beat my Hemi. > The problem was he drove the car on the street and his gearing was wrong > for drag racing....should I have told him? lol > > Dave S(Texas) >
Reply to
Bill Freeman

And you need 360 hp (old rating) to get stuck in traffic?

Do you know a Chevy Prizm/Corolla can do 115 in a straightaway? He beat my

2.8 FI Celebrity and I topped 105 (a guess with 85mph speedo). I had a holeshot on a 40th Anniversary Vette with a 1987 Ford Tempo GL (2.3L FI)! And I've been had by a 19 yo girl in a Justy too. Whoever has nerve wins 75% of the time.

Do you need to believe the crap or do you go to Jimmyz Chevy Shack and promptly read the flyer and kick tires?

It's your lettuce.

Reply to
Steven Dinius

Shit, and all this time I thought they were talking about 409 the Kitchen/Bathroom surface cleaner...

Reply to
Paradox