Re: 'Like house of cards,' used trucks fall

On the other hand CNN had a story about a guy spending $2k per month to gas his Hummer so now he is driving a used Prius with a dent that cost him $24k. Guy goes from one extreme to another.

C. E. White turned > > > >> "We see people with $10,000 in negative equity," Redfern says. "A dealer >> does not have enough room to help the customer out of it." > > That's insane! > > I've done the calculations. I figure if - instead of commuting in my > mid-size Avalanche at 15MPG - I inherited a small econobox that got 25MPG, > I could potentially save about $2K/year in gas. > > That would be nice. > > However, if I were looking at replacing said Avalanche with said econobox > I > wouldn't even think about loosing $10K in negative equity. It would take > five years of driving the econobox just to make up for it. > > > -- >
> > powered by the lizard:
Art

We know not everyone is a smart buyer. That 24K acquisition cost would have paid for ALL of his gas for the Hummer for two years. He would have been ahead the cost of whatever gas he uses in the Prius for the next two years LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

Yeah, that's lame. Take a $130K truck with a diesel and get a $24K car. Go figure.

I'm seriously looking at a used 1980s mercedes 300d or 300sd.

Now, if I buy one and use some variation of WVO to power it, I'd save well over $2K in gas the first year in just commuting. (I'd keep the Avalanche to drive with the family.) Since a used 300d or 300sd goes for between $1000 and $4000, I'd be ahead really quick.

In addition, I get to not use blood oil from Venezuela, Saudi Arabia or Nigeria in the process. I know it isn't a blip on the oil companies' radar screen, but at least it might be my stake.

In addition, I get to keep the comfy truck for pleasure driving, camping and towing.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Good cars, but be sure to factor in the cost of repairs. I had an '83 and sold it with 185,000 miles. The cost of parts is incredibly high and often available only from the dealer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's a valid point as well.

I'm flipping between just driving the Avalanche full time (at 15 MPG commuting) or getting the Merc (at 25 MPG commuting).

My beautiful bride thinks I'm crazy.

Grrr....

Reply to
PerfectReign