Re: Oldsmobile RIP

That FWD is cheaper to build has been a common misconception among many. It may be your personal opinion as well but my

30 years experience as a metallurgical engineer working for VW and GM in my early days as a assembly plant Field Engineer and later at Ford performing some of the chassis engineering on the first Escort and Taurus, has left my knowing otherwise. It has to do with the much more expensive amount of off-line pre-assembly required for FWD configuration v. RWD.

mike hunt

dizzy wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:22:38 -0400, some stupid top-posting, > nym-shift> > >I drove a 300C yesterday. The handles is much superior to the on > >FWD chassis. At 33K loaded and with a V8 it demonstrates how > >much less expensively RWD vehicles can be built than FWD like the > >Pacifics. > > It does no such thing, "Mike", as front-drive is in fact cheaper to > build than rear-drive. You can't just grab two vehicles at random and > make the claim you did above.
Reply to
MikeHunt2