Re: Park Ave 3.8 Ultra--- supercharger noise

Hope this Helps

Info - Remanufactured Supercharger Replacement Units - Remanufactured Supercharger Replacement Units

1992-2003 Buick Park Avenue 1995-1999 Buick Riviera 1997-2003 Buick Regal 1992-1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight 1997-1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 1992-2003 Pontiac Bonneville 1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix with 3.8 L Supercharged V6 Engine

Remanufactured supercharger assemblies, as well as remanufactured nose drive kits, are available through Magnuson Products*, the only GM authorized rebuilder of Eaton Superchargers. Complete assemblies are available with core exchange. Remanufactured nose drive kits consisting of nose cone, drive pulley, lubricant, sealant and coupler are available. The nose kits are an excellent alternative to replacing an entire supercharger when dealing with low mileage bearing noise or leaky seal concerns. Orders placed by 5:00 PM Eastern Time can be shipped the same day and are available next day air. For additional information or to place an order, contact Magnuson Products, 3172 Bunsen Avenue, # K, Ventura, CA, 93003. Telephone Number 800-648-6436 or 805-642-8833. Fax 805-642-1936.

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from this source or for any such products which may be available from other sources.
Reply to
jones.family

Sounds like the nose cone bearing are failing. Apparently you can get the replacement bearing and take the nose piece off and take it to a machine shop who will remove and replace the bearing. Just have to buy a new gasket and put it on. If the rest of the supercharger is making noise, then yes you need the whole thing reman'd. Otherwise save a grand and just do the nose cone. Do a search in usenet (use google groups) for nose cone bearing.... You will find a lot of tips and part numbers, etc. Also look on thrasher-ep for the supercharger teardown.. lots of pics. Apparently the supercharger compressor part lasts way longer than the nose cone.

Reply to
matt

Thanks, Matt. Found a lot of good info. May try to rebuild the nose cone.

I'm familiar with alt.autos.gm, but what is thrasher-ep?

Ed

Reply to
jagerEd

It used to be called thrasher-ep.com now its

check out this link for the supercharger teardown...

matt

Thanks! That picture of the inside of the nose piece was especially helpful.

I just ordered the kit $25 from Magnuson Products. Since my car is a 95 Park Ave ultra the seal and bearing identified in the Mavin Mller article aren't necessarily correct. Has anyone else posted the correct ones? BTW, I tried to look up the CR 7965 Seal Marvin gives in the Chicago Rawhide online catalog, but couldn't find it.

I'll post whatever I find out on the subject.

Ed Sowell

Reply to
jagerEd